Author Topic: Denial of play happening with some idoc scripts?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Denial of play happening with some idoc scripts?
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
"You have to wait before performing another action", but I hadn't done anything, this is what happened.

Trammel Idoc off the beaten path which I did not see anyone else at, thought I might have it to myself. When the house fell there were perhaps 40 or so items and a half dozen chests with low level items, most had been banked before the owner shut the account down. I didn't run a script to loot because I saw no competition in my journal at all, no need to hit play so to speak.

I picked up chests first and dumped them on my boat right beside the idoc and was cleaning up items, mostly flowers, for whatever turn in value they might have and suddenly I could no longer pick up items. At that point, which was almost exactly 60 seconds after the house fell, two stealthed players appeared next to me. A chest that had fallen which was still in my pack vanished and appeared several times and both stealthers walked right to me. They were ignoring the flowers but I could no longer pick them up either, the other action message wouldn't go away.

We all stood there for a long moment and at EXACTLY the same time both stealth characters hit recall. If this had happened when I was running a script I'd have thought the script bugged out but it wasn't on. My best guess is that the other two guys were running a script that was slow to detect the house down and they followed me as if pathfinding before suddenly both stopping and not moving.

Anyway, it screamed of script but my concern is that if a script is indeed the cause for me getting denial type errors, even if unintentionally, then someone is going to scream at UO about "scripters" and that's not good for any of us. I WISH I knew who the two guys were, if you were a stealther at an IDOC last night in trammel around 9pm send me a PM so we can see what's going on and perhaps fix it.

If anyone knows about this type of can't perform action messages even when you hadn't done anything more than successfully pick something up let me know, it was my first time running into it recently.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:24:50 PM by Gemviper »

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Denial of play happening with some idoc scripts?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »
Didn't they add timers to picking up objects at idocs?
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Yes they did add timers to picking up items at IDOCs to help limit scripting.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
That would be another consideration, the warning text was bright red instead of grey, but I've done other idocs recently including one where I was alone and had yet to see the warnings.

If they added such a system I'd like to read more about it, it would make me need to be choosey in what I pick up via script.

Tags: