Author Topic: Registry Fix  (Read 11239 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Registry Fix
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
My computer seems to be gradually failing. Random crashes while cutting and pasting and that sort of thing. I think it stems from some overheats that may have damaged some RAM. My CPU fan failed and I don't know how long it ran like that.

I was thinking I ought to try a registry repair and wonder if anyone thinks that is a reasonable thing to do, or has other ideas.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Fix
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
first download ccleaner - free version is what I use

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

use this to clean up the crap, then check for registry errors (ill bet you have over 300 or more)
and finally see what is loading at start up.

Then to be safe run a full scan of malware bytes to check for bad programs.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:25:55 AM »
Thanks Gim. I Ran CCleaner and it removed a ton of errors. Malware didn't find anything. Hopefully this will fix my crash problem!
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:42:48 PM »
Honestly if your Ram is going bad you could have a perfect registry and it wont make any difference.  To know for sure use this tool.  You need to burn it to cd and run at boot, it will test your ram and find any bad sticks.  I had to use it before.

http://www.memtest.org/
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
Thanks Cor. It crashed twice during a presentation and I took it in to get it checked out. Just don't have the time to trouble shoot any more than I did. Ram is my prime suspect though...

-Mario Andretti

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
Do what I did, since memtest takes a few hours per stick.  Run it when you go to bed and if it shows errors in the morning then you know for sure :)
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
It was the RAM again. Another stick had failed so I replaced them all and its running great now.

-Mario Andretti

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
to monitor your heating issue, you can use speed fan.     http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/

Let see, You have the side cover remove, you have a 12"fan blowing cold air inside ur PC, and you are crashing often.   You might have a few capacitor that are open on your MB causing you PC to shut down due to heat.       Look around your CPU  for capacitor that look like a mushroom.   

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »
The heat issue was resolved when I replaced the CPU fan and no capacitors had blown.

I have run this machine pretty much non-stop for three years on 12MB RAM on six 2MB sticks. Two of the six failed in the last three months. Rather than wait for more of them to fail I replaced them all with 4MB sticks and am running 24MB now.

-Mario Andretti

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 08:07:43 AM »
The heat issue was resolved when I replaced the CPU fan and no capacitors had blown.

I have run this machine pretty much non-stop for three years on 12MB RAM on six 2MB sticks. Two of the six failed in the last three months. Rather than wait for more of them to fail I replaced them all with 4MB sticks and am running 24MB now.

MB?

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
A man of you stature should be running something a lot more current and reliable Paulo! ;)

The hours spent fixing and troubleshooting piles of rubbish often quickly exceed the cost of getting something new. If you are newly upgraded to now run with 24 Meg of RAM I have to throw in my .02 and say that the time came a long time ago to say goodbye! I haven't run 24MB since my old 486DX lol.

I'm assuming you mean GB? :P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:21:13 AM by 12TimesOver »
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
GB, yes, sorry.

Mega, Giga, Terra, Ginormous, EffingGinormous, whatever... got it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:57:29 AM by Paulonius »

-Mario Andretti

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 06:49:01 AM »
lol    I started out  writing code for an 8k machine what bliss when i got upgraded to 16k.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
lol    I started out  writing code for an 8k machine what bliss when i got upgraded to 16k.

Wow, was that an Apple II or something more esoteric?  I'm pretty sure even the Commodore PET and TRS-80 both had at least 32k.  My mother was cleaning out the attic over xmas, sent me home with a couple old books:

Dude, we're officially old!

Tags: