Author Topic: Suggestion for Easy to use Network Monitoring software??  (Read 4775 times)

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Suggestion for Easy to use Network Monitoring software??
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »
Ok... so short version is my parents want suggestions for how to go about monitoring what websites are viewed on their home wireless network.  Lets just say they are pretty sure a cpl of 12 Year old boys are watching stuff they shouldn't on an ipad etc.   Anyway, the router is in my Dad's office, but checking the log on it is probably beyond him.  I was hoping there was an easy software installation fix that would allow him to see what's being looked at etc.

Thanks!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
Re: Suggestion for Easy to use Network Monitoring software??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
I dunno if such stuff existed in usa and other countrys but in germany exist some software for computers for children control. Banning websites\proxys automaticly with adult content and additional stuff like control Computer and Online Time. Programs they may be allowed to executed and liveprotocol with email sending if they go on websites. So you can see in evening what they did and ban more sites if you not like it.

For ipad i only found a simple tutorial how to use parential control
http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Guide/ss/How-To-Enable-iPad-Parental-Controls-Restrictions.htm

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
You could also configure it at the DNS level.  such as OpenDNS family service... im sure thiers others as well.

http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »
You could also configure it at the DNS level.  such as OpenDNS family service... im sure thiers others as well.

http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/
That's a good place to start.  Don't forget to block access to other free dns provider ip addresses at the router.  A tech savvy kid will be able to get around all that though. If they are using mobile devices then controls really need to be installed/enabled on the device itself like chrome suggested. I'm not even sure if there is a way to lock out adding other wifi connections.

http://www.internetsafetyproject.org/wiki/parental-controls-android

The question eventually devolves into from where do you want your kid exploring the 'net; your router and devices, or someone else's.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
Hmm Thanks for the input guys.   My father isn't very tech savvy so the simplest solution will be the best.  It's not so much about blocking access to content as monitoring it.  He's willing to trust them to make the choice to not view certain material, but wants to honestly be able to CHECK etc.   I'll have to do some reading now & pass along the info.  He's definitely not installing stuff on the ipad though because it would just be removed etc..

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
Well monitoring is a matter of turning on the loggin service in the router itself... depending on the make model or router etc it might have the ability to email you the logs... otherwise you will probably just have to go look at it from the devices webpage... but if he can use the web that shouldnt  be too much of a learning curve
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:49:41 AM »
Hmm Thanks for the input guys.   My father isn't very tech savvy so the simplest solution will be the best.  It's not so much about blocking access to content as monitoring it.  He's willing to trust them to make the choice to not view certain material, but wants to honestly be able to CHECK etc.   I'll have to do some reading now & pass along the info.  He's definitely not installing stuff on the ipad though because it would just be removed etc..

Checked if there are some apps for Apple around for children control? Maybe some Developer team developed advanced apps for it. For my Android phone as sample i have a small application blocking a few applications (Store , Applications not for children). So if iam out of house and my girls cousins are there wanna play with my smartphone , they cant open apps i dont allowed.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:51:10 AM »
Some routers can log activity, take a look at their router make/model and do a feature check. If not, you could easily find one that does.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:59:26 AM »
Linksys WR 54G.   I've looked up how the log ability works on it but it seems to be VERY limited.  I might just suggest a router that can forward the logs somehwere (email / Wallwatch??) & that would be nice & easy once the router was setup.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
Bingo :P
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline lenomike9

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • lenomike9 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Personally I use LAN Desktop Spy Monitor for monitoring network, easy to use, powerful.
http://www.dtspy.com/home-network-monitoring-software.htm

Tags: