Author Topic: Multi-media at home, what are you doing?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Multi-media at home, what are you doing?
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:24 AM »
Ok, so I've been beefing up my media environment recently and am working on building the ultimate, but affordable, multi-media experience in my home. My goal is to clean-up some of the antiquated audio/video/PC equipment I have while establishing the next few years worth of new media experience. Of course, money is indeed an object however I obviously can't do this for free so I'm intending to put down a few G's anyhow.

So what do I want to be able to do and what have I looked at so far? For starters, I want to clean up the current entertainment center (7' tall BTW lol):

36" Phillips CRT, 11 years old
Teac 5.1 Dolby surround-sound receiver, 12  years old
Sony dual-cassette deck, 10 years old
Teac 5-disc CD changer, 10 years old
Pioneer VHS player, 10 years old
Pioneer DVD player, 8 years old
Digital Cable Receiver
2 x Fisher floor speakers, 30+ years old
Sony Vaio PC, 8 years old
DELL Latitude laptop, 7 years old

Ok, so as you can see I'm a bit behind the times.

I'm intrigued by the idea of integrating my PC into my entertainment system via wireless and/or wired media. I've started looking into some products but I'm wondering what other people are doing.

For example, for wireless audio streaming nothing can beat the affordability and efficiency of an Airport Express however this is an audio-only solution and there are limited 3rd party options out there that relieve you from having to use iTunes to stream the audio.

For video there are products such as the Sony BPD-N460, Popcorn Hour, and Roku but these are all based on only streaming specific Internet-based content providers rather than media from the PC. In other words, all of these devices connect to the Internet directly thus don't work if I want to play a DIVx from my PC to my television for example.

I can go with a PS3 and use the streaming capabilities and gain a Blue-Ray player (and gaming console) to boot but we're talking major power consumption for something that wouldn't get used as a console anywhere near as much as a multi-media station (200 watts verse 40 watts of the Sony BlueRay player above is a huge difference).

So far I've built a new PC with a TB of storage and plenty more eSATA space and Windows 7. I didn't put a Blue-Ray player in and now I'm kicking myself in the ass but I only blew $30 on the DVDRW in it now so adding a Blue-Ray to the PC is certainly an option. I plan on buying a new, mid-range (under $1000) laptop and a 46"-47" LCD/LED television. Now I have to integrate all of this!

Anyone else battling with these questions? Anyone else doing any of this? What is your favorite configuration? PS3? Wireless verse wired? Etc? I'd love to hear from you!

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline rana70

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • rana70 has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
    • MyScripts
Re: Multi-media at home, what are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »
Hi,

what I did is simply use XBox 1 Consoles with a WLAN adapter all over my place
and a Fritz Box Router with USB Port to add simply 2,5" IDE Drives for the shares Folders.

So I can use the internet for radio, Audio or Video Files from the shared folders
to play them on every TV.

I think this XBox solution is very flexible and they are really easy and cheap to mod.

cu

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
I dont know if this answers your questions 12x^.  But here is what i have done in my place.

First i got a new case, cpu, power supply, nice decent mid range video card, motherboard(with 5.1 dolby outputs), CD/DVD,BlueRay Combo
Wired in a CAT5, RG6 and power cabling for a positioner to the Multimedia spot.
Got an old ATI All-in-Wonder Remote.

Now I have a PC that can play My CD, DVD, and BlueRay Discs it is connected to my surround sounds system in the room and connects to my HD TV through HDMI connector.  It has a TwinHan 1020A HDTV Satallite card in it for watching sat with the PC and I can switch to HULU or Compartive provider for Online stored Shows and Movies for streaming Internet.  I use the ATI remote to program each device in the pc to work with one another. So I can navigate Web site, volume control, CD ejection, Sat Channels or more with the remote.

So now my multi-media center is really a mulit media center, but in one box.

Offline cgeorgemo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
I'm using Windows Media Center to stream my audio to my system via my xBox 36O and streaming Netflix for movie viewing.
46" W series Sony Bravia LCD and a JBL audio system. Hardwire the 360 if you aren't getting the bandwidth you need via wireless for HDTV and I have a new HD DVR from Dish Network for TV viewing.
Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
Got an old ATI All-in-Wonder Remote.

Funny you mentioned this because the last PC I built, 8+ years ago, I equipped with an All-in-Wonder Pro card but then never actually utilized the damn thing. Ended up giving the PC to a friend of mine for his kid just a couple years ago. Those cards were awesome for their time!

I thought about the XBox thing too, I have heard others do similar stuff. I guess it comes down to wired verse wireless for some of this. The PS3 can give me wireless streaming but requires some third party software to do stuff like Hulu and others.

Maybe I'll shoot for a PS3 and Airport Express setup for now, tough choice.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Tags: