Author Topic: Trillian is dead to me.  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Trillian is dead to me.
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:33:10 AM »
Well after many years of devoute free Trillian usage.  I must alas bid them adieu.

My currently installed version after being patched now refuses to maintain a connection.  So i gave thier latest offereing a try.  Lets say i had issues.

After downloading and installing .. i told it NOT to install the ASK toolbar.  It went ahead and did that anyway.  Stike 1.

Upon running i find i Now have to create an account with them.. why .. what for .. lets see datatracking gathering information on my personal usage  .. stike 2

On reading up further before creating an account... i find its now only free for 30days... stike 3... (really number 2 was enough for me)

So bye bye Trillian ... hello Pidgin.  (if i can get it to download)
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Trillian is dead to me.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:38:55 AM »
Ya, me too.  Sad too, I really liked Trillian.  I was even a paid "Pro" customer for the v2 offering.  

Pidgin would be perfect if it also handled POP3 updates.  There might be a plug-in for that.

So far, Pidgin has worked flawlessly for IMing.  I was getting a bit of ICQ spam with both Trillian and Pidgin, but I set it to "invisible" and the spam went away.

So for the Google search engine.... TRILLIAN SUCKS.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline andym

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • andym has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:48:04 AM »
Hi,

Trillian Astra is free -- it also includes a 30-day trial to Pro.  Did you read somewhere that it is not free?  You can also use TrialPay to get the Pro version for free by completing a partner offer. 

The account allows you to conveniently sync settings between computers, the Trillian Web Chat at http://www.trillian.im and mobile devices.  Your settings are encrypted locally on your computer (using your password) before it is sent over the network -- so not even employees have access to your passwords.  Also your Astra account password is not stored on the servers, only a one-way hash for authentication.  Finally, you don't have to store your account settings on the servers. 

If you did indeed choose not to install the toolbar then that is a bug, however there have been no reports of this in our bug tracking database.  You are welcome to submit the bug to our bugzilla if you desire.  The toolbar is easily uninstallable in add/remove programs.

Regrding the old version not connecting -- you can check your status window and see what the error message was.  Often, after patching an .exe or .dlls, a software firewall will 'forget' that the application is allowed to connect to the internet because its signature has changed.  If you have such a software firewall, you should check there first -- especially if there is an error code '0' showing in the status window.

Andy

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:56:43 AM »
My Astra experience wasn't very good either.  It didn't import any of my historical records or even try and import any of my older Trillian settings.  I've had trillian installed for so long that there was lots of legacy stuff.  I was kinda shocked how incompatible the two programs were.

I did try to revert back to Trillian 3, but all I get now is a crash upon startup after installing and patching.

I've been using Pidgin in Linux for a while now, and it's just an easy to use alternative for me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:01:51 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
Wow who is that guy .. is that some trillian customer service auto scan the web and respond bot !!!!  Not bad if it is.

Ahh so i got a bit of info wrong.. thier still a free version supposebly.  Personally i never use any Partner offers to get stuff free bits but thats just me.

And i still wont be using astra .. as even thow WebBot boy above stated that the "Trillian Account" is used for tracking signing in at more than one comp.. I dont need that feature and dont like creating accounts on places that really isnt needed.  It could have been done the way it always has with the im services.. "you have signed in multiple paces blabla other sessions closed etc etc", no need for an account at Trillian HQ to acheive this.. but maybe their linking in other stuff

Then again thats just me .. thier offering free software and it has been good to me so Im not complaining .. its just a parting of the ways.   Im one of those people that likes my im to im and my phones to make phone calls.... the bells and whistles can make noise across the street lol  ;D

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:29:58 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »
That was a real person!  The Captcha here is pretty hard to get past the bots, so it was a human.

I'm surprised it hit Google that fast!!  Crazy!
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
Yea they must be investing some Dollars to make sure astra has a positive spin...  That is pretty slick old marketing.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
Yes and this should be how a lot of marketing should go but we have a lazy society that wants everything for as cheap as they can get it and that means cutting any fat :(

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
That response is both refreshing and "creepy" at the same time.  Post a message on the Internet and all of a sudden you get a response from the Company you are having problems with.  Wouldn't that be great if you could contract your local Congressman or even the President of the United States and get a response like that.  Google picked up the fact that EN said both the words 'Trillian' and 'Dead' in the same sentence.

I have also been using Trillian, but like EN I don't like all the Bells and Whistles they are adding to it.  I just want it to do what I downloaded it for:  IM's!  Not Facebook interaction, Twitter this and Google that.
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
For years I have been looking for a good chat program, but have not yet found one. I've pretty much tried them all and resigned myself to the fact that if I want a good one, I'm going to have to write it. In fact, if I have free time (next semester) I may possibly write one in Java or something. I ideally want one where each program (i.e. AIM, ICQ, etc) has it's own separate "tab" instead of one gigantic list. This way, if you have multiple things (and stupid people want their facebook, myspace, and twitter interaction), it would be on a separate tab and would have a different "menu" on each tab relating to that specific chat client. I already have an image of what it would look like in my head, but I'd have to play around with it a lot!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:00:02 PM »
I've been out of town for the past 5 days or so. What has changed? I started up trillian basic 3 and I'm not having any issues? Did you guys do a fresh install or what?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
For me, I wanted to try Astra, so I de-installed Trillian 3 and installed Astra.  Since it didn't import any of my old Trillian information, and I didn't feel like spending all the time to set up all my accounts, and history records, I tried to revert back to Trillian 3.  Now it just crashes in Win2003.  I just can't fix it now so that was the last straw for me.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline j.kitty

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • j.kitty has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 06:17:36 AM »
Not to resurrect an old thread or anything but I just recently installed Astra on my home pc and anytime someone is typing a message to me the chat window flashes through my other screens.  Its especially annoying when I'm pvping or doing anything else in UO to have these damn windows flashing through the UO program.  I also have Astra installed at work and I don't have the problem here.  I really hate that it didn't import my chat history or any of my settings or away messages.  Anyone have any success with Pidgin?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »
I'm currently using Pidgen.  It's good and basic.  I still miss the POP3 manager, but I'm over that.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: