Author Topic: Barcode  (Read 3651 times)

Offline j.kittyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • j.kitty has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Barcode
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:23:49 AM »
So google changed its logo to a barcode today in celebration of the anniversary of the 1st barcode patent.  For all you geeks out there who (like me) like to read about the history of things, here's some links:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/06/new-google-logo-celebrates-the-barcode/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode

For some reason, thinking of barcodes has led me to think about the possibility (and probablility) of the institution of barcode-like tattoos or implants as identification (its happened before so its not a stretch of the imagination to think that it wouldn't happen again, this time with more sophisticated technology).  Minority Report might not have been the greatest movie, but it creeped me out to see the eye scanner devices utilized to track the populace.  Anyone interested in reading/watching more about the potential downward spiral our civilization is headed for might want to check out the following links for dystopian literature and movies (Oh no, the new girl is a psycho lol... )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_films

Want recommendations?  Just ask...

Scrripty

Re: Barcode
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:50 AM »
I understand what you mean, but that only matters to someone not doing everything "above board."  It makes me nervous, sure, but it doesn't scare me at all.  Out here where I live, there's a police chief in a rich neighborhood where Bill Gates lives, that is implementing an automated camera system that will run plates of every car that enters the neighborhood.  It will report back any red flagged tags so that an officer can be dispatched to check the person out... now that's scary. :)  I don't believe any one person should have THAT kind of control... that neighborhood is already bad enough just to drive through because Bill Gates lives there.  The cops are on point enough, they don't need that kind of crap. :)  But you know, there's been 4 whole burglaries this year in their town!  *SCOFF*

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
Twinkle McNugget, it also depends on your definition of "above board."  CIA and FBI can put ANYONE on their watch list for ANY REASON.  *bleep*, I mean even John Lennon was on the FBI watch list back in the day (http://www.lennonfbifiles.com/).  Are we supposed to just accept a society like the one we read about in 1984 where THINKING something out of line is considered a crime? 

I do understand that there is a give and take between safety and privacy, but the kinds of things the human mind comes up with freaks me out.  Here in NYC there are surveillance cameras in Lower Manhattan under the guise of deterring terrorism and the mayor just announced that they will be expanding it to Midtown as well (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/nyregion/05security.html?_r=2).  Yes, normal citizens have no reason to fear these devices, only those who would seek to break the law.  But again, those definitions become greyed and change over time.  Anti-war protesters, civil rights activists, hell even women seeking the vote around the turn of the century were all once considered threats to national security. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the safety and security of this country (all of my fathers brothers, my father and my grandfather were all NYC cops), but I'm always concerned about the lengths those in power will go to...  that and I have an extremely over active imagination haha.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
The one tattoo I had designed (but never implemented) was a barcode.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »
Women voters aren't a threat to national security?  Wow that's real news right there. :)  j/k

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
Don't forget the rules regarding political chat guys (and gals)......
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »
Ah sorry TM... no harm intended.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »
No worries.  Just have to nip the trolls in the bud.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:09 AM »

TROLLS?  I said just kidding! :)

Offline cgeorgemo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »

TROLLS?  I said just kidding! :)
He means people who reply to your j/k post with some political diatribe.
Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
Dont even get me started about my rights and all that they are trying to take away from me.  When it consists of privacy acts.  I could take up 83 pages of posts babbling about that and the oboggle administration.

Tags: