Author Topic: Microsoft Live Mesh  (Read 3775 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Microsoft Live Mesh
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:37 AM »
So has anybody played around with this yet? Microsoft Live Mesh allows you to synchronize folders between devices and a web share so that you have a completely up to date copy of the folders contents on every machine you add. So, for example, I added my EasyUO directory as a synch folder, added my Home PC and Laptop as devices to my mesh, and am now synchronizing between C:\Games\EasyUO on my laptop and D:\Games\EasyUO on my desktop. In the meantime, it also keeps a folder in my Live Mesh storage on the web synch'd as well so that I can access the content from devices that don't have the client installed.

There are a couple other technologies out there that do this too. I got sick of having to continuously email files back and forth from work/laptop/desktop/etc or using USB key's. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings.

If anyone is interested in checking it out here is the URL:

https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/default.aspx

Oh, and most importantly, it's free which is a lot more than what you can typically say about Microsoft.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Live Mesh
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 05:03:39 AM »
This sounds very interesting. Security?
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »
I'm still playing and, like a true user, I haven't read up on how the communication is happening in the background. Essentially though you run a client that uses your MS credentials to authenticate to your mesh. I'm assuming this means encrypted via 443 but, again, haven't read yet. Also, you can just connect to your mesh and grab files from any device but this is merely a SSL connection with login/pw on a web site. I'll definitely post more as I discover the info.

Cool feature #2 (number 1 being the data synch), integrated desktop conenctivity (via RDP?). Login to your Mesh site, select one of the devices on your Mesh, hit Connect and you are remotely controlling the device in the same way as GoToMyPC/RDP/PC Anywhere/Etc.

XII

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »
Cool feature #3 - the ability to invite other Mesh users to participate in a folder in your mesh. You can transfer ownership of a folder, give somebody Contributor permissions, or give somebody Read only. The invitations and access are managed on the fly, you can give someone Contributor (modify) and then change your mind and switch it to read-only and the permission change takes effect immediately.

Practical use example - I have invited a friend to my EasyUO folder as a test. We added it to his mesh and he can now add a synch point to his own devices. Now whatever I do in my EasyUO folder will stay synch'd in his own EasyUO folder. Pretty interesting colaboration possibilities or distribution-point type replication possibilities on top of the previously discussed distributed device version control functionality.

Needs work #1 - The Live Desktop UI (the web interface for access to content from non-Mesh devices) is terrible. It works to get you access to data from other web-enabled devices but all file management really needs to be done through a Mesh'd device.

XII

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »
Ok, ok, I'll give it a try.  If you smother anything in enough gravy, you can make it palatable.  :)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
LOL, that is certainly true. Also, something about sugar and medicine?

Believe it or not though I don't mean to sound like a Mesh spokesperson. I'm just blogging about my experience with it thus far which has been mostly awe-inspired glee due to finally finding something that does what I've been trying to do for what seems like years LOL.

I'm just plain giddy right now to the point of sweeping some of the terrible UI flaws and lack of decent technical documentation right under the carpet for now!

XII

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »
Well, even though you're not an MS spokesman, I still wanna give it a whirl.  Love to hear your annoyances too.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 04:34:21 AM »
Annoyance #2 - lack of customization options. There are menus I can do without and settings I would like to change which just aren't available. I suppose this is really just an extension of annoyance #1 (the crappy UI) but it does deserve to be pointed out once more anyhow.

Offline Cstalker

• Google Slut
  • ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Cstalker has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »
I have been using this since you posted it and it is kinda neat. the sharing thing is great for projects. so far i like it. go figure.

Tags: