Author Topic: Building New System!!  (Read 6472 times)

Offline GoliathTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Building New System!!
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »
It is about time for me to build a new PC.  By build I mean "Buy" one that I configure to my liking:)

My last PC I had built by www.cyberpowerpc.com and I love it.  It has been stable... held up to all games that I have played.. and they have great warranty/service aggreements.

I want to build a system that will last for a long time and I know for sure I will be playing SWTOR on it.

So... If you have the time and would like to give your feedback on things I should consider please give it a whirl.  

For instance... The only thing I contend with is proper tower venting and dust accummulation inside.  Does a water cooled system enable me to have a closed case to prevent this?  I look forward to some great advice on this.

Dual graphic cards?  Let's say I have a budget of 3k and don't need a printer!  See what you got:)

Online gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Building New System!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »
Heat has to go somewhere - it still will have a fan.
Make sure it has sata 6 and usb 3

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »
I like the idea of heat pipes with a single 120mm fan pulling air out the back. A 120mm in the front to draw the air in would be best, draw across the hard drives then air flows over the heat pipes and out the back. You could even get some type of removable/cleanable filter for the front.

Then get either a fan less power supply or at least one that's relatively quiet.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »
You could even get some type of removable/cleanable filter for the front.

I like this idea!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm actually taking an A+ Hardware concepts course and this is one of my assignments build your own PC.

Dream machine.

Mind you I'm just a novice and learning the basics.

What does www.cyberpowerpc.com offer in the way of OS?

If you buy the PC from them do they put on an OS System?

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
Yes... You are able to customize you PC like you wouldn't believe.  Very easy too.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:51:28 AM »
Every good computer starts with the monitors, I mean, afterall, that's what you have to look at every day! So my money starts with 3 x 22+" screens on an Ergotron mount (saves desk space). You can get a decent monitor for $200 so X 3 + mount = $800 of your budget. That gives you $2200 to play with which is plenty. Start with a quad-core processor and a minimum of 8GB of RAM. Make sure you have an SSD for the OS (or a velociraptor drive) and then use one or two 2TB 64mb Cache Western Digital drives for your storage. Dual graphics cards are required for 3+ monitors (you will not be bridging/linking them since you'll need at least 3 outputs). I'd recommend the GTX lineup of nVidias or equivalent in ATi with a minimum of 1GB a piece. Also, make sure you have USB 3.0 ports on it! Other than that...have fun!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 05:40:53 AM »
Every good computer starts with the monitors, I mean, afterall, that's what you have to look at every day! So my money starts with 3 x 22+" screens on an Ergotron mount (saves desk space). You can get a decent monitor for $200 so X 3 + mount = $800 of your budget. That gives you $2200 to play with which is plenty. Start with a quad-core processor and a minimum of 8GB of RAM. Make sure you have an SSD for the OS (or a velociraptor drive) and then use one or two 2TB 64mb Cache Western Digital drives for your storage. Dual graphics cards are required for 3+ monitors (you will not be bridging/linking them since you'll need at least 3 outputs). I'd recommend the GTX lineup of nVidias or equivalent in ATi with a minimum of 1GB a piece. Also, make sure you have USB 3.0 ports on it! Other than that...have fun!

Now this is the kinda response I was looking for.. Thanks Maddog!  I was curious about the dual graphics cards and was telling my wife that I wanted at minimum two monitors.  She didn't understand until I explained that I would like to be able to see my scriptors running on different monitors while I played:) 

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
If you're like to see my computer setup in action:

[admin]Holy Screensize Batman Here, try this one.[/admin]

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
office.JPG
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:13:33 AM by Cerveza »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
Sweet... I had just went to lunch with my wife and told her I was going to have 3 monitors on my next PC build.  She just laughed ;D

Tags: