Author Topic: Addicted to sound files in my scripts!!  (Read 2317 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Addicted to sound files in my scripts!!
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:07:21 AM »
As the title says I've become addicted to placing sound files in key locations within my scripts, it adds a TON of fun to playing UO. There are a lot of different types of sound files out there and, for whatever reason, it only seems to work when I use .wav files but that's fine, I have lots of those.

For example: When an idoc falls a .wav file of crows going crazy lets me know, it works even when the game screen is minimized. Actually it goes off when I get disconnected from UO too which is great at letting me know to log back on. Another I use is in my bandaging script, when I am no longer under attack, which is usually because I've killed the attacker, I blow the corpse a kiss.wav. I even added a nuke.wav when I open up an SoS while fishing, lots of sound files in that script to keep me awake!

Anyway, a great site I found for free .wav files is http://www.wavsource.com/ . All you need to do is download a .wav file, place it in the same folder as your script and add a line to your code where you want it to go off, ie:  "sound mysoundfile.wav", rename it to whatever your sound file is called of course. I still haven't figured out where to put the "activity unproductive" sound file from the people<women page 1 section  :-X

"DADDY, THE CROWS ARE GOING, THE HOUSE MUST BE GONE!!" - when I'm on the throne and the kids hear the crows, fun times!!

bonus: if you use sound files while testing a script you've written you can figure out what the code is doing as you play and spot problems. I used a ghost.wav file when initiating a hide attempt and found out that I was trying to hide way too many times within the script... and in places I didn't need to. It's not always obvious something isn't working right, until you hear it.

What sites do you use for free sound files ??
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:19:11 AM by Gemviper »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Addicted to sound files in my scripts!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
I used to do this all the time. I never shared because of the large (for the time) file dependency. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »
Yeah, it would be a nightmare to support others, tell them where to put the sound files, debug when it doesn't work for them etc. Still, adding them to your own stuff... fun!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:55:48 PM »
I think the only time I have used sound in my scripts is for Overseer  when a GM is spotted.

But sounds like great fun no pun intended.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
when a GM is spotted.

I heard they always show up invisible and observe first. eeks.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 06:05:33 AM »
when a GM is spotted.

I heard they always show up invisible and observe first. eeks.

But then they would ask you the color of your socks and inquire if they were hand knitted by your great grandma :)

Either-way when they show its nice to get an audible warning so you can run over an see whats going on....  not sure if my overseer still works that way or not...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: