Author Topic: Building a new system for my assistant: Feedback wanted  (Read 2550 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Building a new system for my assistant: Feedback wanted
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
I am looking to build a desktop system for my assistant, her computer is giving her some trouble.  I want something relatively cheap and reliable.  She will be primarily doing correspondence, working on some spreadsheets, marketing material and some web development.  The system doesn't need to be a game ready computer.  If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.  I would like to get it done for around $400.

I was looking at this kit from Tiger:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=500251&CatId=333

This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Building a new system for my assistant: Feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »
most off the self systems don't have enough ram,
nowdays if you ain't got 8 gigs, your system is probably barely adaquate.
depending how old her comp is you might get by with a processor memory upgrade.
save some e-waste from the landfill.
besides its fun to build your own
plus building your own you get to use stuff like this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13091/ex-vap-20/Cooler_Express_2011_Design_Super_Evaporator_CPU_GPU_Cooling_Unit_-_Sockets_AM2_AM3_LGA_1156_LGA1366_CE-48-D-1C-1G.html?tl=g49
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
That's a decent system Paul... For just desk work it should do just fine.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
first off way to much for the OS

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/software_oper_system/windows_7_professional
second not enough ram you really want 8 gigs

3rd a stock heat sink is not adaquate for multi-application use. try monitoring your temps with a large spreadsheat, a couple of web browsers, a mail program, and a calculator running. your probably hitting 57c which while the processor can handle it over time it wears on the system.
heat kills and the system won't last long

so if you want a comp to last a couple of years before they are complaining about it again
go cheap. cause you get what you pay for.

or shop smart and get good deals on 6months ago high end suff and be happy.
my 2 cents
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  L2L, have you got an alternative you prefer in a similar price range?  I am happy to build if I have all of the peices, I just don't have the confidence to be my own architect.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
And if you have any problems with it you are your own tech support.

Since this is for work, I'd recommend buying a system from somewhere so if there are issues, you will have someone to deal with them.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »
as Cerveza said it comes down to are you willing to do your own tech support.
I tend to shop through www.pricewatch.com and google shopping to find absolute loswest prices.
one of the best things i've found that saves a ton of money is using branded OS. 82$ for 64bit win7Pro is cheap.
right now though I am saving up for the cooler above.
And you might be able to upgrade her current system (repacing CPU/memory) on the way cheap and have a better system.
but if your going intel go w/ at least a quad core (this will give you 8 threads).
and bare min of 4gigs but 8 will be better,
If you keep AC in office freezing ( for you peeps in suits ) stock cooler should be sufficient. If not loook at upgrading heatsink/cooler.
my opinion on Motherboards is go something really decent from 6 months ago that will handle todays top of the line CPU then find a cpu that the bottom has dropped out of the price. This way in 2 years you can replace that cpu w/ something better.  With at least 4 slots for ram fill 2 now fill 2 later thing.
also make sure their are enough expansion slots for stupid stuff you might want to add down the road.
And if your really worried about tech support, buy locally. and I don't mean *spits*bestbuy*spits*.

Again just my 2 cents.
edit
also did you read the reviews ie. the negative ones
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:38:07 PM by luv2luvlong »

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
Just keep in mind for all the memory hogs that windows 32 bit only uses a bit more then 3 gig.
So having 64 bit is paramount if you are planning on a lot of memory.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 05:12:36 PM »
For business computers and little worries. I have always recommended DELL  Now for a home or play computer I will always recommend you build your own. Just my opinions :)

Tags: