Author Topic: Mage pvpers obsolete?  (Read 9454 times)

Offline ParadiseTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Paradise has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Mage pvpers obsolete?
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »
... so I just got back to the game after years, and my mage gets taken down in 2 seconds flat by an archer pk.  I work on getting gear up and ...my mage gets taken down in 2 seconds flat by an archer pk... Do I make an archer? Do pure mages have a chance anymore?  Any recommendations would help ty =) also I have a huge problem stuck in a rut with making my new characters..  I keep making mages because magery is what I know.  Ninjitsu necro bushito all foreign to me.  Can anyone recommend some pvp templates? All suggestions would be appreciated ty!

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
Re: Mage pvpers obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
If you like mages here's a few good templates.  I wouldn't do em though if you're not pretty good on a mage and can handle fightning other mages w/ no resist :P.

120 mage/med/eval/ss/ninjitsu/necro
ninjitsu there just for surviving the ganks rlly, mirror image on foot and the best part is once you fight someone and realize they got no pots, throw the DPed ninja stars ;x.  This is my current.  Use orange petals, trapped boxes, apples & potions.

120 mage/med/eval/ss/ 100scribe, 105necro, 25focus? (+crystalling gives 45total focus i think)
Same idea as the top cept just a total damage dealer.

Of course you want 45DCI at least & want crystalline w/ a mage weapon.  This is a uber cheap template to build if you go factions since you can get crimmy, folded steel, heart of lion, orny, crystalline for like 19k silver and puts you at like 50/35/35/35/35 with no sleeves/gloves/legs/gorget on (I usually use pendant w/ it).  Then you use LRC pieces w/ just resist no MR since you're what... 9mr, 30lmc already.  Can pick up the pieces dirt cheap usually.

Archers are fun too.  They arn't a bad character to mix things up with.  Thier templates are pretty obvious w/ like 120 archer/tactics/anatomy/healing and then either bushido/resist, hide/stealth/ninja (w/ lower other skills), bushido/ninjitsu, ninjitsu/med, bushido/med etc.  Can mix em up well.  My new favorite is a 4/6 bushido ninja/med archer.  Chase ppl down form out on the run and dismount before they get off screen.  Med allows me to just spam lightning strike and specials.  Usually we fight out numbered so yo u wana get everyone else on foot cept your guys.  Dismount via move, throw a bola, re-arm wpn, and repeat.  Let everyone else finish em off till they all on foot and mortal ppl ;x

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »
Oh wow, sounds like alot to learn =) Thank you for the tips, I'll have to try some of your templates. 

I know that Anatomy, poison, and wrestle can compliment Magery in different ways, are there any compliments to the other newer things? And would say a ninjitsu be a better dexer? or a hybrid mage type be good to? I'm so baffled as to whether or not some would benefit to having more intel or dex.  Thanks for all the advice =)

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:39:45 AM »
Mages seem to struggle one v. one with many dexers.  I only know a few that can compete with archers swing and specials.  Mages however are still the make it or break it force in field fighting and raids.  You can kiss it goodbye if you don't have a nice mix with mages for holding spawns etc.

bushy mages are really nice with nerve stike but you dump resist and have to carry a box.  The great mages out there seem to be tactics mages on my shard and are not running resist but rather carrying boxes.

remember that evasion has some changes now and cannot be spammed and relies on other skills too to be effective.

Parry mages are great for archers and dealing with that "i never miss syndrome" but for parry to work now you need 80 dex (not stam).

Just a few other thoughts for ya.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:47:30 AM »
Oh good to know about the dex needed with parry. I was actually thinking of changing wrestle to parry on my mage before I read your post =P

Thanks for your information!  Although I'm confused what do you mean by "carry a box"? For being such a UO vet I feel like a UO Newbus =)

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »
carry a trapped box.  When you get a trapped box made. Get one that is not GM.  You want it to be the least amount of effective in the damage from it.  You use it when you get paralysed to break it since any damage received will take the effect of paralysis away.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:22:54 AM »
Paralyze is broken if you take damage. The old days it was done by casting "Magic Trap" on a pouch. You got paralyzed, you opened the pouch (taking about 2 points of damage) and you could move again.

They changed the pouch damage to like 20+ points, eliminating it as an option.

People got smart and figured out a way to use a tinker trapped crate (with dart trap) in the same manner.

Using a tinker with just enough ability to set a dart trap, they would make a bunch of these crates. Then using a special way of disarming the trap, by using a GM Mage casting Unlock on the crate while they are on the floor facing a certain direction, the crate could be opened again and again with the person opening it taking only a little damage (~7-12, depending on physical resist).

This is what they mean when they say a trapped box. By using one you effectively have 120 resistance skill when an opponent casts paralyze on you.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »
Those old days were you had to cast magic trap on a pouch was when PvP was at it's best... All I did in those days is PvP and duel. How PvP changed to what it is today boggles my mind and ticks me off... it's so piss poor there aren't words to describe it.

In my mind it's so bad that I refuse to participate in the current system and if I get real bored I'll join a free shard with the old UO:R PvP system  to get my fill.

Dismount is imo probably the worth thing they could have introduced to PvP.  Also now pets and people running around with dragons are now the norm and accepted whereas back in the day you would be seriously shunned and people simply wouldn't engage you because of your 'cowardice' for bringing a pet to the battlefield.

I've been wanting to get back into PvP recently but I just can't accept the PvP system that is currently in place when what we had in the old days was so much better.

I can only hope and pray that sometime in the future they focus serious attention on the PvP system or they prop up an old UO:R server to appease the old school PvP'ers.

Not likely me thinks...

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
That is because they have turned it into just getting the kill and not hte honor of the kill.  And when someone dies they just make up some excuse as to why they died and just continue to tell the person they suck.  So to me.   What went wrong with PvP.. is the kids who feel like being a punk is the way to be.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »
AHhhh so that is how it is done nowadays.  I used to use the old trapped pouch method years ago with a macro to pop them one at a time.  Tinker trapped boxes would have been suicide :P They decorated my front patios and were only in my bag to kill snoopers and thieves :P

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »
Anyone mind sharing some thoughts on a PvP Archer-Tamer template? They seem to be the ones ripping it up and I need some defense as I'm tired of getting raided on my Champion Spawns. Any feedback is much appreciated. :D

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »
All about the dismount then "All Kill".
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
I'm just looking to defend myself not go out and kill players who are minded their own business or test my hand at PvP. I'm tired of getting raped at Champ Spawns after I've spent an hour or more solo'ing the spawn...

If Dismount "All Kill" helps my cause so be it.

Templates anyone?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »
All about the dismount then "All Kill".

Ooooooooooo!  Ouch!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 07:36:32 AM »
hey ultima what shard u play on?  I do alot of champs by myself too and am tired of getting raped after working the spawn up.
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Tags: