Author Topic: Confessions of a New Treasure Hunter  (Read 7254 times)

Offline gimletTopic starter

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Confessions of a New Treasure Hunter
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:11:20 AM »
Is there any difference between the treasures found in the chests in Trammel, Fel or the toko Islands?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:15:40 AM by gimlet »

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Tmaps
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Yes - Fel chests have a chance at better SoTs, I *think*...but other than that, no.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »
All chests contain gold, imbuing ingredients (major in level 2+, minor gems in all), a variety of armor pieces, jewelry and weapons and a chance of:
•high property count items - all levels
•alacrity scrolls - all levels
•creeping vines - all levels
•tasty treats - all levels
•recipes - all levels
•another map (the same level or, rarely, one level higher) - all levels
•a message in a bottle - all levels
•a forged pardon - level 6
•scrolls of transcendence (felucca maps only) - level 4 upwards                      {--------------------------{{{
•special artifacts
◦Skeleton Key - all levels
◦ManaPhasing Orb - level 5 upwards
◦Surge Shield - level level 5 upwards (Gargoyle type in Ter Mur)
◦Runed Sash of Warding (2 types) - level 5 upwards (Gargoyle type in Ter Mur)
◦Master Skeleton Key - level 7
** In addition to the normal magic items in a level 6 or 7 chest there will also always be a minor artifact

I could not find anything on treasure hunting in fel upgrading the treasure chest.

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »
Thats great information - thanks
 I also found this

"After the chest is unlocked, it should be de-trapped with either Remove Trap skill or casting the Telekinesis spell(from a safe distance) on the chest. Once both steps are completed, the chest may then be opened and items taken out. There is a small chance for an high property count item to be inside the chest. Chests opened in Tokuno Islands and Ter Mur will contain items from the facets respective expansion. "

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
Thats great information - thanks
 I also found this

"After the chest is unlocked, it should be de-trapped with either Remove Trap skill or casting the Telekinesis spell(from a safe distance) on the chest. Once both steps are completed, the chest may then be opened and items taken out. There is a small chance for an high property count item to be inside the chest. Chests opened in Tokuno Islands and Ter Mur will contain items from the facets respective expansion. "

In regards to the high prop items.  Seems that about 1-2 items per chest come with 6 mods on them.  Intensities aren't always spectacular, combinations aren't always great, but they do tend to unravel into relics almost every time at minimum. 

I've been using Miffy's item finder to scan through the items in the chest and grab the few things worth keeping to keep the spawn on higher chests at a minimum.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »
Confessions of a new treasure hunter - Part 1!

OK - Just thought I'd pass on some thoughts to New Miners since Masscre started a trend!

For all map levels - decode - then remove cart with a ss and add mining
Cart not needed once you decode them and gm mining will save you lots of heartache

Get Jacobs pickaxe (newbe mining quest) it is blessed and the charges (20 i think) are not used when digging up the chests. To dig click on the map to get a context menu and pick dig, this will bring up a targeting cursor and target the ground. This is much more efficient then clicking on the pick and then targeting the map then the ground.

I cast two earth elementals and and have invis ready to go as the chest comes up (the nice part about gm mining is it comes up (depending where you stand) a long ways away (like 4 tiles)

For level 1 and 2 maps at 120 magery (haven't tried at less) magic unlock and telekinesis works the first time. So keep lockpicking on a ss for higher level chests.

Rebuild your UOCartographer maps (this puts snow on the maps) and makes it a lot easier to find places to dig.

More to come if people think these thoughts are worthwhile..........

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:40:57 PM by gimlet »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
keep em coming I will post up some info also tonight if I do not forget.

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:41:33 PM »
Confessions of a new treasure hunter - Part 2!

Look carefully at the Map (but it is way to small to really see). So I use screenhunter 5.1 free to magnify the map. I find this magnifier is just about right to see detail at the pixel level. Any magnifier will do that has a hot key. If you pick screenhunter you can also save a copy of the map for your library or blow it up if you still need more detail.

The t map is not tilted so set uocartographer to also not tilt.
The treasure chest is to the right of where the pin hits the ground (x in diagram below). So where it hits the ground is the same x coordinate as the pin. The red ball (0) of the pin can be used to find how far right to go. Go straight down from the red ball until you hit the x axis (t). This is about 5 pixels over from the x and 3 down from 0. (looking at the map not tilted).
  /
x   t

I imbued my +5 mining gloves and made them mage armor, 1 mana reg, 18 LRC, 7 lower mana cost and 15 physical resist. I think this increased my distance from chest since i seem to be able to be about 5 or 6 tiles away from the treasure.

I got lazy so instead of casting an earth elemental to kill the spawn (level 1 map) i use a vollem.

Once you start digging you can see where the chest is coming up. If it is to close to you you can move which will stop the digging and then restart since you know exactly where the chest is.

So far i have been doing mainly level 1 maps just to learn and i have got vines, skeleton keys and tasty treats in the chest. I have also got a few rare recipes for the tinker or alchemist.

I have not even tried the skeleton key yet since magic unlock works great at 120 magery on level 1 and 2 maps.

more to come as i do higher level chests......
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:41:19 PM by gimlet »

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:40:12 PM »
Confessions of a new treasure hunter - Part 3!

Well level 1 maps are getting sooo boring. Spawn is a few easy ratman and mongbats etc
Today spent more time on level 2 maps. Spawn gargoles, hell hounds, glazers and an occasional orc mage, and earth elementals - My vollem cleaned them up without a problem. Treasure is 2 essences or 2 abyssal cloth etc, Tmap occasionally and recipe and a blue scroll of alacraty.
Started level 3 maps - the spawn was dread spiders, lichs, and an occasional ogre lord. My vollem needed a little healing (healing wind and greater heal) but no problem

I opened the chest with magic unlock (at 120 magery). Treasure was 3 essence (I see a pattern here)
I am assuming I will have to go to my picker at level 4 chests. I have many 3s to do so unless I find out something more on 3s the next report will be a few days from now.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:01:30 PM by gimlet »

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »
Just an FYI In case anyone Didn't Know but the best place in the WHOLE wild WORLD of UO for low level T Maps is the undead Guardian room in Doom. Trust me.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:11:13 AM »
Shhh....

Bring a Blaze of Death for some real fun.

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a New Treasure Hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Confessions of a new treasure hunter - Part 4!

OK got tired of doing level 2s and went to 3s full time. The spawn on level 3s is easy for my vollem except when a ogre lord spawns - then he dies if i'm not fast enough to hit peace or greater heal (or cleansing winds)

After the spawn if one spawns my all kill - peace macro lets the vollem take him out quickly.

3 essence, recipe, tasty treat, blue alacrity scroll and skeleton key and vines (and 15 k)

Started level 4 chests. Stabled vollem. Cast Rising Colossus just when chest starts to show and invisible on me as guardians appear. It cleaned up 2 ogre lords 1 elder lich and a dread spider no problem.

Got my vollem out of the stable to take care of monsters poping up during the item removal. (With peace)

Cast magic unlock and it opened the level 4 chest (at 120 magery)!!
This was my first big shock! Lockpicking must come in somewhere = maybe 5 or 6 or 7?

Level 4 brought vines, recipes, tasty treats, 4 essence better stuff on the guardians and in chest, 20 k

Will try more 4s but so far about the same as level 3s.

My template is 120s in
music
peace
provo
magery
focus
Myst
and
Mining 105
(with jewels etc)

more to come ...

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
Thank you for this info gimlet. I have starting collecting more treasure maps just because of your post :)

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »
Cool! It is fun!
Although the treasure is really luck dependent on the guardians. I wonder if luck plays a part in the treasure in the chest?

Tags: