Author Topic: My first quad build - 230mm FPV racer - a.k.a. "Wiggles"  (Read 4666 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
My first quad build - 230mm FPV racer - a.k.a. "Wiggles"
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »
+1
    Parts for the build of "Wiggles"

My transmitter:
    FlySky Upgraded 2.4G 9CH RC Helicopter Transmitter FS-TH9XB Mode 2 with backlight mod

Originally I had 2 leaf props on this thing.  5030-size props are almost too large for this 230mm frame, but they just clear the structure of the quad, so they seem to work fine.  The motors on this are on the small side for this quad since I'm also going to be adding an FPV system to this that includes:

Boscam FPV 5.8G 200mW AV Wireless Transmitter TS351
    DAL 700TVL FPV HD 1/4'' CMOS Camera Module Wide Angle
    Boscam FPV 5.8G 8CH 200mW AV Wireless Receiver RC305

Setup using the OpenPilot is an absolute breeze.  The flight controller was able to manage a perfect hover after the system had been calibrated and paired with my transmitter.  This is a big, heavy build, so actually racing this thing is going to be challenging.  Since the motors are so underpowered, this quad kinda handles like a pig with wings, but it's fun to play around with and gain some flight skill.  You can download the setup software for OpenPilot HERE

After my CW/CCW discovery, everything else was incredibly easy to setup.  One just needs basic soldering skills and common sense.

I'll post more as I play with actually flying it.

Some pics:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1G1bz1pqEzzRTVfV29VaGE3S2c/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1G1bz1pqEzzQk54cVBCRF9UTEE/view?usp=sharing

My next build is a true racer.  It's a 260mm quad with MUCH larger motors and props.[/list]
    « Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:50:22 PM by TrailMyx »
    Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
    Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: