Author Topic: Setting Up a Webpage: Looking for either advice or some help  (Read 1949 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
I know that there are a bunch of you with experience designing websites on here.  I need to put up a new website for my business as I am going with a new name and primary location. Ideally I would be able to do it myself, but I honestly don't know what is out there as far as tools or hosting options and would like some basic advice.

Option One:  I don't mind paying someone to setup a website for me, and I already have one that most of the material can be stolen from that I am going to shut down, or submerge into the new one -- redirecting to the new site.

Option Two:  I find a tool that lets me build the thing myself and I go that route.  Not sure where to begin, or how long this will take me to get done.  I have some knowledge of metadata and such, but I don't really know where to start with setting it up on a host site and building the actual pages. Would love suggestions.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Up a Webpage: Looking for either advice or some help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
Who is your host Paul.  Alot of host include either software to make a site with or offer a service to build one for you at a very small fee or sometimes free.  Then you have a ton of packages out there that a free on the web and several great packages like adobe that is expensive.

Link Here

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
My current site is hosted on GoDaddy, but I don't have any loyalty to that company Danica Patrick notwithstanding.  Ideally I would put it somewhere that is stable, can provide good security, and offers tools to let me build a good website myself.  Does that help anything come to mind as a place for me to go with it?
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
ScriptUO is hosted by Hostgator.  Actually, UOCoders was also hosted there as well.  I love their support and the servers are generally not oversold.  I've been totally pleased with their performance.  We've only had one snafu a few months ago, but they fixed it relatively quickly.

We started out on Hypermart, and that was a disaster.  Totally oversold.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:09 PM »
I host my own website on an AMD Athlon X2 64 6000 with 2GB of RAM. I run Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008. I was lazy and use DotNetNuke for a content management system. Very flexible, skinnable, etc. If you look in the Elite section, I have a link to my site in there (with my personal script library and everything). I only have a 6MB Down/1MB Up internet connection and it still runs great. I bought the domain through GoDaddy for $0.89 for the first year, $5.99 a year after that (gotta love promos!) I use DynDns.org to route the domain to my router, then I have the correct ports forwarded to my server. It's not nearly as slow as I expected it to be, in fact, it is actually pretty darn fast!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: