Author Topic: Virus Software  (Read 4275 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Virus Software
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
So what is everyone using nowadays for virus protection? I use McAfee because I get it for free through work however the subscription we have access to won't work on my XP laptop with only 256 Megs of RAM. Personally I don't care for McAfee that much anyhow and I would rather reformat my machine every two weeks than use Norton.

Anyone using something they are happy with other than these that may still work on my laptop?

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Virus Software
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
I used AVG Free.  Works well enough and seems to be much less CPU intensive than McAfee.  McAfee would make my computer thrash like crazy.  Terrible
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »
I am also an AVG fan myself.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »
I used AVG Free.  Works well enough and seems to be much less CPU intensive than McAfee.  McAfee would make my computer thrash like crazy.  Terrible

x3
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
That's the exact problem I'd been having on my low-end devices. My new PC seems to be just fine, 4gigs of RAM makes it so that the thrashing is non-existent.

So if all of you guys are using it and are happy I'll try it right now.

Thanks guys!

X

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »
Anybody using Microsoft Essentials? I may go with that first just to check it out. A friend here at work is swearing by it and minimum requirements are a mere 256Meg RAM and a 500Mhz proc. I do remember trying AVG (now that I'm looking at it) and found that it killed me on the older devices.

I also have an old HP Vectra PII with Windows 2000 in my daughters room that won't take either product I'm guessing  ;D

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Hey it's a Microsoft product. What could possibly go wrong with that?  :p
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

x4

AVG Free and SpyBot is all I really use

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
I didn't use a virus protection in over a year I just heard about avg so thats where I'm at right now. using the free AVG :)

Offline mod1

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mod1 has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 02:40:02 AM »
i use avast. also have mcafee and it slows down my computer so bad that i cant really use it.
i will test avg soon when i move back to xp.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:15:13 AM »
So I installed MS Security Essentials and, so far, I'm not too impressed but it's still early yet. Keep in mind that I'm running on a PIII 850 with 256M RAM so nothing I've run so far seems to perform any better but I'm having tons of performance issues creeping up now. Some apps start dreadfully slow and it can take upwards of 3 minutes to load a heavy web page with a lot of animated gif's (for example a long forum thread with a bunch of avatar's). This in and of itself isn't as much of a big deal typically because I can tweak settings howevermost virus/malware packages traditionally come very configurable whereby there are very few settings that can be teaked with MS Security Essentials. Furthermore, I like to be able to watch the realtime scanner progress to see what file is being scanned at any given moment, this does not seem to be available.

So I can tweak file type and folder exclusions pretty easily so I've added *.gif and *.jpg as well as my UO client path. I'll keep twiddling with this for the next couple of weeks and see if I can make things improve. Otherwise it would be a wonderful asset. The full version is FREE and is pretty easy to use. I'll keep at it.

X

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
I use AVG, AdAware, and Microsofts Spyware checker :D

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:26:32 PM »
Malwarebytes is a great malware scanner.  It's actually saved me from having to reinstall the OS on my girlies computer.  Also recommended by MS.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: