Poll

What was your first impression of the Apple iPad?

OMG I'M A FANBOY! I'LL PAY A BILLIONTY DOLLARS IF I CAN GET ONE RIGHT NOW!
0 (0%)
Interesting idea, need to see it more
3 (33.3%)
WTF?! Are you serious?! HAHA
4 (44.4%)
Why is Apple going into feminine products?
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Apple iPad - First Impressions  (Read 2892 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Apple iPad - First Impressions
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
Just wanted to get everyone's first impressions of the much-hyped Apple iPad. If you don't know what it is, go to www.apple.com and you can't miss it on the homepage (there's a little video link at the bottom). Or you can check out www.gizmodo.com to get some tech-blog opinions.

Answer the poll and post your first impressions in the following format:

1. Pros:

2. Cons:

3. Would you buy it (if you had the money) when it is first released?

4. If no, what would make you buy it?

5. Do you like the name? If not, what is your suggestion?

6. Mac Fanboy Raving / Anti-Mac Raging (whichever you prefer to do):
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iPad - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
2. Con:  Doesn't play UO

Really, what more is there to say?

:)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
i like thier logo very accurate...

Im very sure the price is unbelivable...  in like i carnt belive people would pay that much

Although i have no idea how much it costs or anything else about it .. but its all going to be closed source closed everything... thats fine in an ancient flip phone but i like my computer systems to be more flexible.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
A few more details for those unfamiliar and too lazy to look:

Dimensions: 9.56" x 7.47" x 0.5" @ 1.5lbs (1.6 with 3G)

9.7" multi-touch screen with 1024x768 resolution

1Ghz Apple A4 processor (probably from their new group they just hired to make their cores in-house)

Battery: 25Whr, according to Apple: 10hrs surfing on Wi-Fi, watching videos or listening to music (reportedly 1-month standby time! Ha!), finally you get a dock->usb cable AND an AC power adapter!

TV/Video: when using adapter, max output to TV is 576P/480P (wtf??) with apple component cable or 576i/480i with apple composite cable

Audio: Built in speakers, microphone, 3.5mm headphone jack (1/8" which is standard headphone size)

Buttons: Home button (just like iPod touch and iPhone), Power button, volume control, mute

Just like the iPhone, it comes in 16, 32, and 64-GB varieties ($499, $599, $699 respectively) + $130 if you want 3G connectivity from AT&T (which is also $30/month unlimited, no contract necessary)

So for your first year with with the cheapest 3G-capable model, it'd be $990, and $360 a year after that (just to have always-on access)

Granted, you can do it without the 3G, but then you always need a wi-fi hotspot (since you can't plug it into wired ethernet)

No memory card slot, but they do have a 30-pin dock connect to SD card reader which they state is for TRANSFERRING pictures and videos from a camera to the iPad, so I am guessing that you won't be able to use it as an expandable memory card slot, only transfer from it to the iPad.

You have to sync it with iTunes 9.0 (which basically means that on it's own, it's barely even a tablet computer, I'd personally consider it a peripheral)

Pictures:

One can only imagine how much the case will be! HAHA
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
A large ipod?

I'd rather just stick with a laptop. Can't be that much more troublesome to tote around. Plus, you can play high end games on those!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:20:31 PM »
I like it alot.  The design is great and it is a nice TOY and has a lot of applications that are nice like finger dust which is an applic that lets you go back and see what someone else was doing with your ipad and where they had went with it but it still is a glorified TOY with alot of closed sorce stuff for it and i would dare to say WAY over priced. So i will never have one and cant offord it either.  But if i won one or was given to me shoot yea i would take it !!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
I'd probably play with it for a month before putting it in a drawer with allt he other crap I never use.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Tags: