Author Topic: Interruption to Cable Internet Knocks Printer Off my Network  (Read 3692 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Interruption to Cable Internet Knocks Printer Off my Network
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:29:08 AM »
I am again enjoying a recurring problem that I used to have with Comcast cable internet in Chicago.  Every time the cable internet service would experience an interruption, it would knock my printer off of the network so that it would show up as offline.  This problem went away when I gave Comcast the big middle finger and switched to UVerse.  So for a couple of years I didn't see the issue.  Now that I am in St Louis the only internet service available for my office is Comcast cable.  Last night the cable service interrupted and my I am back to offline printer blues.  

The only way I could solve this previously was to uninstall and reinstall the printer.  When I called Comcast back in the day they always told me that it can't be their problem because I have internet service.  I just got the same answer from Charter and I hung up on the tech two minutes into his explanation of why cable internet service couldn't be the cause of that problem because I can get onto the internet and he is 99% sure it has nothing to do with cable internet...

Anyone got any ideas why this happens?  

As an aside, it amazes me that cable company internet customer service is just as lousy with a different company.  
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Interruption to Cable Internet Knocks Printer Off my Network
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
What are you using for a router between you and Comcast? How do you have it configured? What settings are you giving out with your DHCP server (Gateway, Subnet Mask, DNS)?

Ideally you will have a device between you and your internal network and all of your internal devices will get internal IP's and point to an internal Default Gateway. The ONLY time they should ever care about the Internet is when an address is outside of your network at which time it should engage your FW/Router. I'm wondering if your DHCP settings may be configured to hand out something that should be different possibly.

Also, what make/model printer? Did you scour their support site for anyone else with the same issue. I have to admit, if I were Comcast I would say the same thing about it not being anything to do with me but I would need more infor in order to tell you why I would say that! ;)

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »
I agree with 12x^ but we will need more info to get to the point of solving this.  Can you make us a drawing of how your complete system is setup and where everything is from the connection outside to everything that is connected to it inside.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »
I suspect that I am a serial network setter-upper-effer. 

My setup is the same as it was when I had a cable modem before:

Provider cable comes into a modem.
Output from modem goes to router.
Printer and computers wired to router.

I used the router setup utility to configure it.

I need to have one of the computers with a static IP that I got as part of the package so that my producer can log into it to issue quotes.

The one I work on I don't care if it has a static IP.

This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
You should make sure that the printer has a default gateway of your router's internal IP address (hope that makes sense).

X
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:07:22 AM by 12TimesOver »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »
You should make sure that the printer has a default gateway of your router's internal IP address (hope that makes sense).

C

If you would provide us the model and maker of your printer and router and we can problably tell you how or walk you though it even.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:46:20 PM by Masscre »

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
Yea my guess is that the issue is a ROUTER problem. It just so happens that when your internet drops and comes back on, your router does a little bit of housework and probably messes with the DHCP settings in some way, shape, or form. Honestly the most important piece of information is Make/Model of your router. Knowing most people, my bet is that you probably have a Linksys WRT54G v4 or v6 maybe...but that's just my guess! Please prove me wrong! LoL
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:48:01 AM »
The router is a lynksys WRT160N. The printer is a Brother 7840.  Its a wireless router, but the printer and the PCs are cabled to the router.

-Mario Andretti

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:09:20 AM »
What settings are you giving out with your DHCP server (Gateway, Subnet Mask, DNS)?

Did you scour the printer support site for anyone else with the same issue?

Tags: