Author Topic: A rant - Kids and cell phones: frustrated, and a little sick to my stomach...  (Read 5051 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
I am so annoyed right now with cell phone companies.

My daughter is only 8 but I would like to get her a cell phone. Now don't get me wrong or hold it against me; I'm not interested in pushing her to grow up faster or bring on even more of the overwhelming sense of responsibility kids face today at far too young of an age. However, with household schedules growing more and more hectic between girl scouts, dance classes for wife, dance classses for kids, over 30 basketball league for dad, volunteer schedules, fresh air kids, camping, soccer, mentoring, etc, etc it is becoming increasingly obvious that a method of communication made available to my daughter would add in a positive way to my familys quality of life.

Now, with that said, I am not going to get my daughter a cell phone anytime soon and here is why.

For starters, I am not at all pleased with the fact that I want to get her a phone to begin with. It just feels wrong to me. The fact that I'd even consider it makes me feel low, like I've given up or that I have no integrity. I can't tell you how much it makes my stomach turn when I see two teenagers walking down the street together talking on two seperate cell phones rather than to one another. Or, even worse, the sheer number of people I see regularly gabbing away in their car during their commute, in line at the grocery store, in a booth at the local pizza place, even on the treadmill at the gym (yes, right next to me for 45 minutes). Have you ever driven down the street and counted the number of cellphones you see up to people's ears in just a single block? And if the phone isn't there the earbuds from the iPods are!

In this culture of video gaming, blogging, Facebook, Myspace, voice mail, email, self service gas pumps, and self checkout lines at Home Depot we certainly spend an innordinate amount of time, energy, and money not interacting directly with other human beings. In the meantime our society, no... scratch that, the human race is spinning uncontrollably down the toilet. I just erased paragraphs of venting about the dangers of bringing children into this world from this post because I realized I was heading further from my point in posting this rant. Suffice it to say that it is my belief that the ever-growing disconnect between us and our neighbors thus our community thus our world is at large the reason we are dying.

Now, with all of this said I still feel that I could open my mouth, gently suck in the bait, and let the hook sink deeply into my cheek. I can actually see good, positive reasons to have a cell phone for my daughter. Maybe not now, maybe when she's nine or maybe when she's eleven, or 13, who knows. Point is that it's probably going to happen sooner or later. Here is the biggest reason it won't be now, no control. I want a cell service that allows me to block everything. Yes, everything! All incoming calls, all outgoing calls, all incoming text messages, all outgoing text messages, all downloads, all software installations, all picture sending, all picture receiving, all email, all Internet, all everything! Then, I want to be able to enable some things. To start, for my 8 year old, it would be the ability to send and receive calls to and from a very short list of numbers including mom and dad cellphones, home, work, and emergency contacts. Maybe some other family members. Then, if earned by being responsible, slowly add a few friends; perhaps allow more time based on a good report card or another number to call based on a good track record at home.

I have been doing this with firewalls for 13 years. I do it with my daughters Internet connection today. But so far I have not found a single goddamned cell phone company that supports it. I can pay $4.99 per month per phone line for some basic features but they are all limited in that I can only block a small list of numbers; with Verizon you get 20, AT&T it's 15 - they all have a package. What about the other 20 million numbers I want to block? Nevermind why this is a fee I have to pay, why can't I block everything? Why do I have to pay for unsolicited marketing text messages at $.20 a pop? Why is it ok for a company to force me into an unlimited text package just to not receive services?

So, I'm sorry for this rant, I just had to dump it somewhere. Hopefully you don't all think I'm nuts or, if you do, you at least don't hold it against me! I've got to get going, I have to pick up my three year old. Guess what he asked me for the other day? Yeah, if you read this you already know. A three year old! It's a sad, sad state of affairs we are in.

XII

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
I hear you on this..
I found this phone it might be a little help for you.
I'm not to sure about incomming calls though.
http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/Mobile%20Phones_Select%20by%20Carrier_Verizon_Migo.jhtml#

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
The Migo was one I was going to recommend to you too.  Although I never got that one for my girlfriends daughter (we were at one time), that was recommended to me.

We ended up getting a normal phone for the 12 year old (LG Chocolate).  However, she's VERY responsible (so much so that I think she's an alien), and we do watch the activity logs very closely.

I'm a Verizon junky from way back in the day of Airtouch, but sometimes Verizon lags the competition with phone choices.

Parental controls is something that phone service providers all lag in, so you're left to a pitiful few phones that can possibly help you.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:46:41 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
even on the treadmill at the gym (yes, right next to me for 45 minutes).

;D That is so selfish to do such a thing, like everyone else wants to hear how you went to the barbershop earlier that day and the barber messed it up...
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
i was only on the phone to make sure i didn't hear your huffing and puffing...geez :)
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Looks to me like 12X needs a big-ol-virtual hug sans technology.  :p
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
LOL everyone. And thanks for the ideas on the phones I'll check them out.

BTW, I'm feeling much better now hehe.

X

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
that's good.  was wondering if the next cellphone you be sporting was going to be composed of burlap, bailing wire and powered with a lemon.  lol.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:46:39 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
Its definatly a delema for todays parents.  I gave my 7 year old a cellphone 2 years ago .. mainly becuase i needed to get ahold of her and make sure she was in the right place etc every day.. hetic schedules etc....  I solved most of the problems by giving her a pay as you go phone and the most old and basic phone i could find.. no camera .. no internet..  and then putting only enough credit it on it that i needed. And basically banned her from calling/texting anyone else.. which she didnt.  Im not sure that wasnt out of embarassment to use the old phone (yea embarrasment .. what can i say advertising)

Once schedules changed... and I no longer needed her to have it .. she didnt want it anymore

Now i completely agree with practically everything you said 12x... but on the flip side its not going away so we just have to get creative and educate the kids as much as possible.... and perhaps bitch to the phone company.. im sure if they relized parents are willing to pay for it they will add more such features.

Try these companies probably cost more for service  didnt read just a quick goolg eon "kids cellphones" and these fit the bill

http://www.kajeet.com/kajeetStore/landing.do?lp=DEC08/HOL2&gclid=CNyR8--i9JcCFQZqswodMDorDQ&c=G09&recipe=A
http://www.fireflymobile.com/

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
Its definatly a delema for todays parents.  I gave my 7 year old a cellphone 2 years ago .. mainly becuase i needed to get ahold of her and make sure she was in the right place etc every day.. hetic schedules etc....  I solved most of the problems by giving her a pay as you go phone and the most old and basic phone i could find.. no camera .. no internet..  and then putting only enough credit it on it that i needed. And basically banned her from calling/texting anyone else.. which she didnt.  Im not sure that wasnt out of embarassment to use the old phone (yea embarrasment .. what can i say advertising)

Once schedules changed... and I no longer needed her to have it .. she didnt want it anymore. But i still keep an extra phone handy now thats shes 9 and wants to cylce the hood with her fellow 9 year olds i require her to take it and check in periodically.

Now i completely agree with practically everything you said 12x... but on the flip side its not going away so we just have to get creative and educate the kids as much as possible.... and perhaps bitch to the phone company.. im sure if they relized parents are willing to pay for it they will add more such features.

Try these companies probably cost more for service  didnt read just a quick goolg eon "kids cellphones" and these fit the bill

http://www.kajeet.com/kajeetStore/landing.do?lp=DEC08/HOL2&gclid=CNyR8--i9JcCFQZqswodMDorDQ&c=G09&recipe=A
http://www.fireflymobile.com/

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile

I completely agree. You're right, it's not going anywhere and my issues are probably not unlike those of my parents and theirs, etc just with different technology/issues. I'm confident my daughter will also be very responsible, she's just that kind of kid. I'm not worried about what she'll do wrong, I'm worried about increasing her exposure to an already overwhelming amount of societal input; ie, i'm worried about having another avenue for other's to do her wrong. *sigh* Did I really sign-up for this anxiety when I agreed with my wife that it was time to have kids? Hehe.

I'm just frustrated with the limitations of corporate America and the powerlessness I feel when I don't think something is right but I have no choice. I'll definitely be checking out some of these other phone options.

XII

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Its "consumerism" that has got my knickers in a twist... and how to effectively teach my kids thats its a load of ***** and you just dont need it. 

My 4 1/2 year old son is already a victim .. always wanting the latest and greatest toys what was it power rangers then pokeman, then digimon .. bacugan now ben10.

I've come to the conclusion that cartoon network is the work of an evil genius... and is now one of the banned channels in my house. But consumerism is so powerfull he finds out about all the latest stuff when going to pre-school... what an insane world it is now.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Another along the lines of the MiGo, but more a "Pay as you go"....

Firefly

Besides, I dig the name  ;)
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Tags: