Author Topic: Managing Home Finances  (Read 2728 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Managing Home Finances
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
Hey all -

Just wondering what people are using to manage their home finances - budgeting, etc. I've committed to getting this part of my house in order asap and have been considering purchasing Quicken to assist. A close friend of mine does everything on a spreadsheet and I can certainly keep it that simple, but this won't as easily help me manage investments, retirement savings, etc as well as Quicken might, or are there some other tools out there?

What is your experience? Should I pull the trigger on Quicken Premier 2012? A different version? A different product?

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Managing Home Finances
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
As long as you're decent with Excel, a spreadsheet will suffice. Granted, you can't import your account from online banking and such, but it's really not too complicated. Start with one worksheet for income, one for expenses, and third for investments/retirement, and a fourth as kind of a summary. Makes it pretty easy to see what's coming in and going out and also how much you can set aside each month for retirement/savings and how much "flex" spending money you have for the little things. And the best advice I can give is ALWAYS ROUND UP! Make everything pretty whole numbers (Like if your rent/mortgage is $1650/month, make it $1700). This will help make up for the little things that you might forget or are hard to budget (like a random lunch at Panera because you were out running errands).
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
I still only use Excel for the adds/subtracts, and Quicken for the bill pay thing.  That's it.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
As long as you're decent with Excel, a spreadsheet will suffice. Granted, you can't import your account from online banking and such, but it's really not too complicated. Start with one worksheet for income, one for expenses, and third for investments/retirement, and a fourth as kind of a summary. Makes it pretty easy to see what's coming in and going out and also how much you can set aside each month for retirement/savings and how much "flex" spending money you have for the little things. And the best advice I can give is ALWAYS ROUND UP! Make everything pretty whole numbers (Like if your rent/mortgage is $1650/month, make it $1700). This will help make up for the little things that you might forget or are hard to budget (like a random lunch at Panera because you were out running errands).
This.

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
Check out Mint.com
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Boydon

• ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Boydon has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
Check out Mint.com