Author Topic: Progressive auto insurance ??? expereinces  (Read 9045 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Progressive auto insurance ??? expereinces
« on: January 14, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
Well i finally got around to getting a quote from these guys... Ive been with my existing company for 12+ years...And low and behold progressive is overing me insurance for approx $1100 LESS a year for my 2 cars.  I was expecting a small difference but thats pretty large....

So does anyone have any experience with them, good bad and the ugly. 
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Progressive auto insurance ??? expereinces
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
  If it sounds too good to be true...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/progressive_insurance.htm

I tend to be a little shady with newer companies. The hands down best insurance company i've ever delt with is State Farm even though they're a little more expensive. You truely get what you pay for there.

Allstate was another great company i've used but like state farm, their premiums outweighed the positives.

I've been with Nationwide for 2 years now and my premium hasn't went up a penny which is the way it should be since i haven't had a ticket/accident in over 10 years.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
Well that sure doesnt read good...  but the question is .. is it any worse than otherss....
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
Progressive is fine. The thing with any insurance company underquoting is to make sure you look at the policy terms compared to what you're paying for now. With a savings of $1100/yr I'm thinking that you are paying for stuff with your existing policy that hasn't been addressed (whether it's something you want or not) in the Progressive quote OR you've been with your existing insurance company for a long time and have never had them review your account.

You should confirm that the Progressive policy covers what you need. For example, is your old deductable only $250 and your new one $1500? Are they going to give you reasonable terms on a car rental? This is sometimes excluded alltogether. Read the quote and make sure you aren't going to be very bummed out if anything does happen because it doesn't take much to hit a few grand in autobody repairs!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
If you can get USAA, jump all over them.  I've heard Progressive is no better or worse than the majority of major insurers.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
I am currently using progressive and they have given me great service but I am also in aggrement with what 12x^ said. If the policy quote you got is 1100 dollars cheaper then you are problably not comparing apples to apples.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
I am currently using progressive and they have given me great service but I am also in aggrement with what 12x^ said. If the policy quote you got is 1100 dollars cheaper then you are problably not comparing apples to apples.

I am comparing apples to apples ... in fact .. I currently have $1000 rental car benifit on progressive i upped it to $1200,  likewise on deductible i pay $500 reduced it to $250.  So the progressive quote is both cheaper and better... (Progressive has a nice online quote system allowing you to customize exactly what you want made it easy to match apples to apples).

My insurance rate for 2 cars has never been reviewed (12+ years)... over the summer i had a no fault accident that resulted in my car being totalled.  No question of who was a fault... Had to fight to get a ridiculus lowball totalled price, even thow thier claming it back from the person at fault insurance......  Upon getting a newer car my insurance promptly jumped by $90 a month... excuse newer car...   by the way i currently have State Farm.

After the horrid treatment by statefarm of against all state laws etc.. using craiglist 1line adverts to justify pathetic lowball offers, the claim adgents changing their story every other day, blatantly lying  and flat out refusing to provide documentation for thier offers, I really dont think any other company can be much worse and for the huge price thier charging and the fact that this was the only accident i've had in 25 years of driving and not my fault, so complete cost recovery.. so for me its time to move on to a company that might at least do more than overcharge me.

That said I will forward the progressive quote to my state farm adgent and see what they say.   Tommorrow I also hit up Gieco and see how they compare.

EDIT::  Just got a quote from Geico .. customized to be apples to apples and $1300-1400 less than currently paying for 2 cars for a year.   So State farm has just been reeming me basically.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:10:03 PM by Endless Night »

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »
I have USAA (thanks Mom!) and they've been the greatest. You really can't beat them in customer service and quality of service. Heck, we even got $75 back this year because overall, everyone with USAA insurance drove well this year!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »
Choosing between Progresive and Geico? I have had both and would pick Geico over progresive. They both did me good but Geico has alot more freebies included in their packages. I would currently use geico but they would not cover my current new house so I had to change companies. State farm I have had also but there sevice with me was subpar, expensive, and they did not want to pay when it came to accidents. I consider them to be the elite of thievies.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:03 AM »
Ahh 12 years huh? I figured that was the case, EN. In fact, you probably tossed away without giving it much thought an annual notice that all insurance companies are required by law to send to their longer term customers stating you may not be getting the best rates you could be but in order to get better rates you need to contact your agent and have them do a review lol. It's a total racket. I would venture that you could have Statefarm give you a new quote and they would come in MUCH lower than they are now but it sounds to me that moving on is probably a good idea anyhow.

BTW - I work in finance and part of our bottom line is an insurance company that does business all over the northeast so I get to see first hand how the guts work. If you are apples-to-apples go with the cheapest of the quotes you got.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
What 12TO just posted.  Most people expect brand loyalty to be rewarded somehow, however a lot of companies these days exploit it in a counterintuitive fashion, basically their line of reasoning goes something like "hey this fool bought our last spiel, let's see what else we can get away with this time around".  Meanwhile the best offers go to potential new clients to entice them into the process.  The old trick of rotating through providers is getting neutered as well, as they build up databases, offers get 'customized' so unless you subvert their system you won't even know what's being offered to someone else, in effect the pricing has become opaque to the consumer.

Used to have USAA insurance, and they were hands down the lowest price for good vehicle insurance.  However early in the 00's their home coverage rates became very uncompetitive (they had huge hurricane losses to recuperate), so switched to Allstate.  Also discovered then that in a number of states, these insurance companies access your credit history, which could lead to a much higher premium.

Whatever company you go with, be sure to incorporate adequate uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage into your policy.  Nothing like being involved in an accident that is some deadbeat's fault who isn't covered.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:51:33 AM by ximan »

Offline Casanova

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Casanova has no influence.
  • Marine. MMA Champion. Nerd.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:26 AM »
Recently switched to Geico myself and saved over 1000 a year... Was with 21st Century. And two years was hit by a Geico driver and the claim was SOOOOOO painless it made me go to them first for a quote and lo and behold they lowered the deductibles added in the car rental and saved me money!

Good Luck.

Casa

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
I'm about to switch to Geico myself.  With 3 cars, a motorcycle and a home, I'll end up saving a buttload of cash.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
EN, where you live your house is the harder item to insure. Progressive is providing home insurance now, but its relatively new and not in all markets. You generally get about 10% off both policies if you put your home and auto with the same carrier and there are decent reasons for doing that anyway. You got some good advice in this thread. If you want me to look over your quotes send them to me. You might also go back to your current carrier and ask them to re-rate you.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »
I tried getting Farmers to re-rate me once and that was a joke.  lol
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: