Author Topic: Ram - How much ram do you have in your system ?  (Read 8120 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Ram - How much ram do you have in your system ?
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
I'm curious, looking at updating a couple of my machines and curious what other people have loaded up ?
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Ram - How much ram do you have in your system ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
I run 16

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Neo barely matters.Neo barely matters.
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
I run 8gb @ 1600 MHz on my main pc. It may be a little outdated, but it still does the job well...

I plan on getting 16gb for my next rig though, but that's only gonna happen next semester I think.
Never refuse an invitation.
Never resist the unfamiliar.
Never fail to be polite.
And never outstay your welcome.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
I'm went from 4G DDR2 to 8GB DDR2 a few months ago and while it's better it's still not enough. :(

I usually run 4 UO Clients, 3-4 web pages, VLC playing movies or songs and running 1 instance of VMWorkstation.

You can't have enough RAM in my opinion, it's the best thing you can do to gain performance on your PC.

Been eyeing some boards at Newegg.  LGA 1155 w/ Z77 chipset supports 32gb while LGA 2011 X79 supports 64gb.

Yes I'd buy a x79 and fill it up with 64GBs, if only I wasn't so poor. 8)

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Neo barely matters.Neo barely matters.
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
I think it's all about how you set up your OS in the end.

Of course more ram is gonna do a better job. But I found 8gb pretty powerful for my needs so far.

At one point I had it running 18 UO clients across 3 virtual machines with 1 gb each, and could still play newer demanding games at the same time, with no slowdowns whatsoever.

I always keep my OS clean and tidy though.

On the other hand, my sister's PC wouldn't get fast with 32gb+ ram installed I think. That's how much trash she has installed...

So in the end, I suppose it all depends.

PS: I recently installed a new system for a friend who works with audio software mainly. High end stuff only. The PC uses up his 16gb of ram in no time, with the programs he uses...

Never refuse an invitation.
Never resist the unfamiliar.
Never fail to be polite.
And never outstay your welcome.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
I have 32GB @ 1866Mhz on my main rig.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.6%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:04:45 AM »
I am running 8gb but getting ready to update my processor, mobo, and RAM. I am thinking a minimum of 16gb for me but it depends on what deals I can find at newegg over the next month or so. I will be getting a TB hard drive as well and am going to then reformat my 500gb and then run two OS. I am going to run only gaming on the 500gb and then use the TB for daily use and other software. I can run multiple clients right now but it does tend to slow things down at times if I am scripting and then trying to play as well.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:11:21 AM »
8 GB DDR 2 of those http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr2-pc2-8500-reaper-hpc-edition-eol.html atm.
I run Windows 7 64-Bit , 1 VM Workstation with 4GB usage , can use Stealth and up to 8 Clients + Watching Walking Dead on 1020p without any issue :)

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.6%
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:33 AM »
Newb here but what are VM workstations? Guessing virtual machines but what do they do and how do you get one for your system? I am running win7 64 bit as well. I would love to be able to run more clients without slowing my system down. I hate to admit it but I sometimes use the EC due being able to hot key more buttons on my Razer Nostro. I became dependent on that for hot keying things when playing WoW and love using it for UO as well. EC is extremely laggy when running more than one CC client.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
We've got some good threads that explain the joys of virtualization ("V" machines).  Here's a link to that section:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=549.0
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
I run with a minimum of 16GB these days. Should definitely be at least DDR3 as well. Remember RAM = more programs open at once, if you want your computer faster overall, consider upgrading your hard drive to an SSD.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.6%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
We've got some good threads that explain the joys of virtualization ("V" machines).  Here's a link to that section:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=549.0

Thank you, I will check it out.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
Not To Change the Subject, But did anyone ever Figure out how to Get VM's to run the Normal Windows 7 Profile and not the "Basic".

Basic won't let you pixel scan across multiple UO Instances if they are stacked.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Cooms

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cooms has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
Im building a new rig everything should be here by tomorrow hopefully. 16 DDR3, 2tb mechanical with a 240gb ssd.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
Not To Change the Subject, But did anyone ever Figure out how to Get VM's to run the Normal Windows 7 Profile and not the "Basic".

Basic won't let you pixel scan across multiple UO Instances if they are stacked.

which VM manager are you using MW?
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: