Author Topic: Need Recommendations on a 24"+ monitor...  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Need Recommendations on a 24"+ monitor...
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
Hi all my samsung monitor just bit the dust... so im in the market for a nice big montor ??

Any one have recommendations or opinions...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Need Recommendations on a 24"+ monitor...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »
Was that your Big Toob?
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
my 3 old 21" sony and viewsonic  TUBES .. all blew a last year after about 10 years of abuse...  So have been suffering along with a 19 inch flat screen .. thats now bitten the dust (just over a year of abuse !!).. so time to go back to some nice big screens. The prices have come down alot by the looks of things.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
I just lost one of my 2 Hitachi SuperScan 21" toobs.  Right now, I have my last one along with my IIyama 21" toob on my main computer.  I will cry when the IIyama goes; it was a chunk of change back in the day but still the best monitor I've ever purchased.

I have 2 Sceptre 19" LCDs on my other desk computer, but they died simultaneously.  I fixed them 4 times by replacing their backlight inverter capacitors.  Finally I bought some high-temperature capacitors and they have lived without issue since then.

There are some good deals on 24" HP monitors at www.geeks.com.  I just bought a dell 22" monitor and it's pretty nice.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
yea i really miss my old tubes... even miss the 19inch dell tubes i had... just carnt beat the pic quality of the tubes at all resolutions .. instead of this only works really well at one resolution gibberish of these new flat screens.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »
Samsung ToC is what I'm about to buy. 24" is $329 at Newegg and Buy.com right now. Has a built-in HD tuner as well.

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »
Ya, there is no way I'll ever enjoy my gaming experience more on an LCD vs. a big toob.  Soon we won't be able to buy them.  Hopefully by then there will be some better technology than LCD.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:48:25 PM »
Samsung ToC is what I'm about to buy. 24" is $329 at Newegg and Buy.com right now. Has a built-in HD tuner as well.

is it the same samsung as at amazon for $270 ??
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T220HD-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B0019HGTLC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1239730534&sr=1-5

Offline Daeus

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Daeus has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
I'm quite happy with my Viewsonic 22" 1080p LCD monitor, beats the crap outta the LG 17" beside it.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:06:36 AM »

is it the same samsung as at amazon for $270 ??
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T220HD-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B0019HGTLC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1239730534&sr=1-5

Nope, that would be a 22 inch version of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T240HD-24-Inch-Monitor/dp/B001AYGDCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1239879298&sr=1-1

This isn't the greatest LCD, it's still a TN panel I believe and ideally you want an IPS, but it's a good deal for a good brand and has the built-in HDTV functionality with HDMI, etc. Will be a great monitor.

As for LCD verse CRT, even though there will be better color reproduction on a CRT I'll take LCD any day. In fact, the LCD I have right now is a PoS 17" I got off UBid.com like 6 years ago and I'm still happier with it than I was with the 17" CRT it replaced because, to me, desk real estate, power consumption, and esthetics are also important.

For a good, basic discussion on LCD panels check out http://www.lcdpaneltypes.net/

XII

Offline napalon

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • napalon has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »
Im using acer x243w. wery cheap. Def worth of buying

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »
When I built my desktop back in the fall, I splurged on a GORGEOUS Dell 22" SP2208WFP monitor. HDMI, DVI, VGA, Stereo Audio in/out and a 4-port USB hub built into the monitor. It's soooo much better looking sitting next to my 19" Asus LCD. I would always recommend getting an excellent monitor because "Hey! You gotta stare at it all the time!" LoL!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:09:28 AM »
So EN, did you pick up the ToC I recommended? Something different? Nothing at all? Let's hear it!!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »
Temporiry ive stollen my 4.5year old sons monitor .. he hasnt noticed as hes decided my laptop is way cooler at present.   But probably end of month ill be getting myself something decent as this 19w LG .. or LowQuality Goods doesnt cut it.

Tags: