Author Topic: Virtualization is the key to UO scripting success!  (Read 37016 times)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Virtualization is the key to UO scripting success!
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
+1
If I need to zip or unzip anything, I'd just do it on my main PC...I like VBox with Xubuntu because I can run it in Seamless Mode fullscreen on my third monitor and it's like having another tower underneath my desk running it!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
+1
Just pointing out things I've found as I migrated from VMware to VBox.  Never had that problem in VMware and sometimes it gets annoying when I have to go out of the virtual OS to the native OS to do particular things.  That said, I still use VBox primarily since I just got tired of trying to build the VMware kernel level drivers.  Kernel changes can totally bork VMware regardless of your distro. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »
+1
whats the best VM to use for file sharing.. I'm having a bitch of a time sharing with Windows XP (Primary) and Windows 7 (VM) I'm probably going to to change it to windows xp..

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
+1
I just set up my first VM using VM Workstation.  Was pretty easy to set up and was a peice of cake to load software with the drag and drop feature. 

What are people doing for operating systems and what do folks recommend?  I am guessing I want the smallest memory footprint that runs well.  Is that XP?  What about Windows 2000? 

Do I need to buy a license for each VM?  Seems like I remember Windows 2000 not checking online to match keys, but maybe it was before even 2000. 

I can probably justify the 190 for Workstation if its the best option. Certainly was easy to set up.  Sounds like Maddog likes VirtualBox better and if that's free and works as well its hard to justify paying for the same thing...
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Scrripty

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »
+1
The windows option works very well imo also.  I like the VMware one best, but I've only used VMware and Windows Virtual PC, but I've installed most operating systems successfully on VMware and it seems to work perfectly in Windows 7 with most any operating system.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
+1
What are people doing for operating systems and what do folks recommend?  I am guessing I want the smallest memory footprint that runs well.  Is that XP?  What about Windows 2000? 
XP is your safest and easiest bet IMO. No authorization and still supported (unlike 2k). Enter Vista and 2k7 and you have all of the OS registration stuff to contend with not to mention HUGE space and memory requirements that simply aren't necessary for scripting machines. I use 4gig drive files with 256Megs RAM and Windows XP and install nothing but UO and whatever UO-specific tools I need. No Viruscan, no swap file, just let 'er rip.

Quote from: Paulonius
Do I need to buy a license for each VM?  Seems like I remember Windows 2000 not checking online to match keys, but maybe it was before even 2000. 
If you are being honest and actually purchasing your licenses then yes, consider each copy of a guest OS that you run virtually as an entirely new machine thus requiring a seperate OS client license. No, there are no checks and balances, it's an honor system thing until you get to Vista/2k7 (see above). The CD-Keys mean absolutely nothing, you can build 1,000,000,000,000,000 machines with the same CD key.

Quote from: Paulonius
I can probably justify the 190 for Workstation if its the best option. Certainly was easy to set up.  Sounds like Maddog likes VirtualBox better and if that's free and works as well its hard to justify paying for the same thing...
You don't need to pay for Microsoft Virtual PC and it works great. Furthermore, you have it set up already. Why change it? I say keep using what you've already done.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »
+1
I thought that XP had that authorization thingy?  That's kinda why I'm using 2003 for my VMs.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
+1
I thought that XP had that authorization thingy?  That's kinda why I'm using 2003 for my VMs.
Never had to deal with that before TBH. I think you can, depends on the version of XP you're installing I guess (retail/OEM/Enterprise/etc). I always use either OEM or Enterprise media NEVEREVEREVEREVEREVER use Retail media!

X

Scrripty

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
+1
Never had to deal with that before TBH. I think you can, depends on the version of XP you're installing I guess (retail/OEM/Enterprise/etc). I always use either OEM or Enterprise media NEVEREVEREVEREVEREVER use Retail media!

X

Not sure we're talking about the same thing here, but Virtual PC for windows is downloadable off their website and came with XP already installed, I never had to install a thing... and you can make as many copies as you like.  At least I can...?  Not sure how it works now, I downloaded it before I did an upgrade install of Windows 7 Ultimate over the beta...? :)

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
+1
I loaded up Virtual PC and had it set up with Windows XP from a disk I had handy, it didn't download with an OS.  When I VPC got to the OS install it asked me for an XP key and did not accept my windows 7 key.  I took it off of my computer to make sure that I was not doing something wrong and tried again, same result. 

I then loaded up VM Workstation and same thing. Got to the OS install and XP wanted a key.  My 7 key didn't work here either.  I did some poking around online and read that the first Win7 service pack you download invalidates the backward compatible license that comes with 7.  Not 100%, since I read it through third party sites.

Meanwhile I remembered that I have a key to a copy of XP from a desktop that was stolen.   I tried that and it worked to allows me to complete the install on one VM Workstation.  I have not tried it on another yet.

The version of XP running in workstation asks me to register it each time it starts and says I have 30 days to register. 

I am running a 30 day trial of workstation.  If I am not blown away I will uninstall and try something else when the trial expires.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
+1
I loaded up Virtual PC and had it set up with Windows XP from a disk I had handy, it didn't download with an OS.  When I VPC got to the OS install it asked me for an XP key and did not accept my windows 7 key.  I took it off of my computer to make sure that I was not doing something wrong and tried again, same result. 

I then loaded up VM Workstation and same thing. Got to the OS install and XP wanted a key.  My 7 key didn't work here either.  I did some poking around online and read that the first Win7 service pack you download invalidates the backward compatible license that comes with 7.  Not 100%, since I read it through third party sites.

Meanwhile I remembered that I have a key to a copy of XP from a desktop that was stolen.   I tried that and it worked to allows me to complete the install on one VM Workstation.  I have not tried it on another yet.

The version of XP running in workstation asks me to register it each time it starts and says I have 30 days to register. 

I am running a 30 day trial of workstation.  If I am not blown away I will uninstall and try something else when the trial expires.

You can't use a Windows 7 key for Windows XP, you have to use a Windows XP key.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
+1
Ah, problem is that if you use the same key too much, when the OS finally uplinks to the mothership, they will flag it and force you to call into MS directly.  I had that happen a couple times when I was reinstalling my OS on another drive or even if I had a major BIOS change.  It was this crap that finally drove me to using Linux full-time.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
+1
12, the license for 7 is supposed to include a license for XP, or at least that is what I read -- but it only comes with one key, so I gave it a shot.  Then I read that the first time you get a 7 update it invalidates the XP license on the key. 

-Mario Andretti

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »
+1
Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 Pro and up

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
+1
12, the license for 7 is supposed to include a license for XP, or at least that is what I read -- but it only comes with one key, so I gave it a shot.  Then I read that the first time you get a 7 update it invalidates the XP license on the key. 
Ah I see. I do recall that a number of 2k7 keys do indeed come with a free "XP downgrade".

Tags: