Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?  (Read 36127 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
+1
Yes, it seems to me that classic shell has saved several windows boxes from being launch from the top of buildings to their crunchy deaths.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • SolidSnake has no influence.
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
+1
I have been using W8 Pro for quite some time now. Honestly, I no longer have a machine running anything else right now. As several have mentioned, it does grow on you. If I want W7, and you do need it from time to time, the desktop mode works very well. The thing that has become quite an issue (good issue) for me is when I am swiping and taping on the one monitor left that is not touch. Comical and I end up swearing at myself. I really need to swap that out for a touch screen. You get used to that part of w8 really quick. For kids..it is unparrelled awesomeness. The grandchild is absolutely amazing with it.

The Surface Pro 128 has become my favorite machine. Unlimited Data 4g / LTE and pdanet on cell phone means I can do pretty much anything..anywhere I have service on the phone. Since TMobile partners with ATT for towers, that is a VERY large area..even when camping in the woods.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:27:28 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
+1
I see this as turning out like the transition from XP to Vista. Win 7 users will hold out until Win 9 comes out (in which they fix all the crap they did wrong in 8).
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 05:04:18 AM »
+1
Ok. I just made the plunge into a new system that Had Win8 included. I am using it. It has a [size=350pt]BIG[/size] learning Curve. I mean BIG. But anyways I am running as Admin but can not get EasyUO to see my Client. Anyone run into this? Help?

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
+1
No, i haven't seen that issue with windows 8 Yet and I run it on 4 Computers.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
+1
Did you get it figured out yet, Mass?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
+1
That I did. You have to run EasyUO as a file with admin rights.  Win8 has just about everything in a different place or hidden or maybe MicroShaft even lost it :). But the more time I spend with it the more I am learning. It is actually a great OS for someone with little to no computer experience. What I mean by this is Everything is super hidden and protected so you can not do something you really did not intend to do unless by pure accident. I just have not figured out how to close all these damn apps and other program I have open. Also still looking for a good way to back into web pages. It is like relearning how to tie your shoes but with your arms on backwards :). But to its credit they  have a good thing just rolled it out way wrong. It should have been more intuitive. But hey for someone that has never used a computer they would not know where the start button was anyway :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »
+1
Hopefully 8.1 will bring a bit more of that technical tinkering back to the OS.  See, this is the world that Apple built. And it sucketh because everyone wants to cater to the lowest IQ individuals in the same way that's made Apple so popular. (YES, I WENT THERE...)  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 11:44:33 PM »
+1
Honestly, after using it for several months now on multiple machines, I'll trade the Old start bar for Windows 8 Search Feature any day of the week.

If I forget which Script I Had a certain "Sub" in, it will find it for me in the blink of an eye.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 05:55:13 AM »
+1
Honestly, after using it for several months now on multiple machines, I'll trade the Old start bar for Windows 8 Search Feature any day of the week.

If I forget which Script I Had a certain "Sub" in, it will find it for me in the blink of an eye.

Grepwin, baregrep, findstr  ...  one or more of those usually running on any desktop I've got open.  Organization is not my forte!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
+1
I like Win 7 and don't have a touch screen so I am sticking with Win 7. I might make the plunge if I get a touch screen.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
+1
SO, I got this pesky little Virus on my Laptop From a browser plugin. (Something to do with a WinRAR download). Couldn't get rid of the Freaking thing, Finally I just type in Factory Reset into search on my windows 8 laptop, BAM 2 Hours later. Reformatted Computer without having to lift a finger.

I love windows 8 now.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 07:36:17 AM »
+1
/necro

I just built a new desktop and decided to go with win 8.1 and so far I am liking it. It takes some getting use to at first but the more I look around and find things, the more I am liking it.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
+1
OMG, what are you guys thinking?!?!?

Well, what was I thinking as well.  I decided to give 8.1 a shot on my new AMD A-series build.  Dear God, what a disaster Win8 is!  Now I remember why I hated it so much before, plus a bunch of new hatred that's developed.  The "desktop" integration feels like a panicked attempt to solve a much larger problem.  The fact that the start menu reverts back to the tiles for selection is just horrible.

It's pretty fast though on my SSD, but I'm afraid that the blood oosing from my bloodied head wound is going to contaminate the drive from booting again.  I can really see how Microsoft has nearly single-handedly killed off the PC market.

I dual-booted with Fedora 20, and I'm probably going to live inside that OS using Mate.  Linux has it's own problems with Gnome 3 (slightly more usable than Windows 8.1).  Thank goodness for the Mate project for Linux!

I only need windows because I wanted to have access to my SiliconDust HomeRun Prime 3-tuner CableCard and it requires Media Center to decrypt the copy-once channels (thanks for nothing Cox Communications!)

So Windows 8.1 is still horrible.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: