Author Topic: Tether your Android phone for internet connectivity  (Read 11393 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Tether your Android phone for internet connectivity
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
Got an Android phone with an unlimited data plan?

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

It's worth the $19.  I can dump my $80/month computer data plan now.  Nice!

Also has drivers for WinMob, iPhone, etc.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tether your Android phone for internet connectivity
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
I tried tethering my droid. It was only good for coming to suo and icq
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:15:57 PM »
I tried tethering my droid. It was only good for coming to suo and icq

I surfed all day long like I normally do without anything acting "strange".  Worked great for me. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:18:35 PM »
Did you try playing uo?
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
Nope, but I'll give it a whirl tonight.  I don't play UO on my normal cellular modem plan either.  Problem there is the horrible latency due to the whole cell thing.  Tethering is really only useful for general web surfing, and is pretty good for downloads @ 2.4MB/sec.  For that, I still highly recommend it.  For UO, you better find yourself a hardline.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
That is what I used prior to getting my root on my irreducible, now I can just use my wifi tether :P

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
You'll have to tell me how you rooted your Incredible.  There seems to be a bit of mystery over that one.  :)

Anyhow, I'm typing at the moment to ya'll over this tethered connection.  Works great.  I already paid the $18.95 in appreciation for a great little application/driver.

Next I will do the same thing for my Blackberry so I can have "free" wireless internet when I'm in Korea, China and Germany.  Hotel internet in Germany sucks monumentally.

Looking forward to their DUN Bluetooth support so I can also connect via Linux.  So many possibilities. 

I have to add that tethered access through my phone is actually faster than my original cellular access card.  I'm jazzed.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
Yeah, I live about a billion Miles from the closest landline internet better than dial up so best I can get is a wireless internet card.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »
I officially canceled my Verizon broadband connection (saving $80/month) now that the tethering thing works so well.  This is a great utility!
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
I don't get it, how does it replace your broadband connection?  Explain please? :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 02:36:59 PM »
I don't get it, how does it replace your broadband connection?  Explain please? :)

I had a Verizon broadband modem installed in my laptop for work purposes (I needed my own internet connection when visiting contracts).  That was basically an additional cellphone bill.  Now I can just use my normal cellphone to get the same/better connectivity.  And it's free now.  That's the best part.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

I had a Verizon broadband modem installed in my laptop for work purposes (I needed my own internet connection when visiting contracts).  That was basically an additional cellphone bill.  Now I can just use my normal cellphone to get the same/better connectivity.  And it's free now.  That's the best part.  ;)

Free because you're paying for the phone already, and it costs nothing to tether it... When before you were paying Verizon to tether it basically?  Explain how it works if you would... I've never done it, and I only read the page you posted...  Or just post a page that explains it better.  I've only ever had a nextel, and now I finally have a badass phone. :)  I feel like I'm new... hah

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »
It's really simple actually.  The app is downloaded from the Marketplace and installed on the phone.  It basically just runs in the background on the phone waiting for a USB device to attach that knows the driver is running.

You also download a driver for you computer that will take advantage of a tether-aware phone and will route the incoming/outgoing internet traffic through the phone. 

Easy-peasy.

Before I basically had 2 cellphones, but one was built into my laptop.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Gotcha, so your phone still works exactly the same, you just dont need to pay for your laptops on the go internet cause you have your cell as a modem now.  I see. :)

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
tm, have you looked into any antennas for your droid?

I presently have a pretty big antenna on my roof for my wireless internet through verizon, but can't find any sort of connector to go from my antenna to my droid (Plugin underneath the battery cover....wtf?) Gonna go into the verizon shop tomorrow to chat with them about it. it seems like my ping with my tethered droid is actually MUCH better than my stupid WWAN, even WITH a 200$ antenna that boosts my signal to 100% on the wwan.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Tags: