Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?  (Read 36118 times)

Offline KaliOfLS

• That's "Dr." Kali to you!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • KaliOfLS has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8 yet?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
+1
Windows ME ftw!

...?  :-\

j/k
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 
^ real life signature for sure

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
+1
I don't know what these companies are thinking.  First my rant was with Gnome3, but then Microsoft comes out and creates what many people are calling the worst blunder in OSes since Windows ME or Vista.  

Haven't seen you for a while, Kham. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:49:25 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:27:07 PM »
+1
yey Kham is back? Happy new Year :)...

As i said before, as User it takes a lot to get used to new design and kind of setting. Saving personal Data also isnt good as some people may think. But from Developer side this offers a wide span of new possibilities in the Application Business..

@ Kaliofs : I personal hated ME. 98 were good , XP also after a few patchs, 7 were first OS i thought about to really buy it myself.

Offline KaliOfLS

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »
+1
@ Kaliofs : I personal hated ME. 98 were good , XP also after a few patchs, 7 were first OS i thought about to really buy it myself.

I was playin at sarcasm.  I bought my first (and only pre assembled computer) when I was 16 and in high school.  It just so happens, I was an unfortunate soul who bought a computer during that short time between 98 and XP D:  ME was terrible.  It was a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death for those who don't know) machine.  BSOD every other day.  I didn't have access, at that age, or the know how to get another OS without buying it, and I didn't have the money.  It made XP look like the best OS ever!  Which is is really good, IMO.  I liked XP, I like windows 7. 

I have a second partition on this computer of Ubuntu, but I'm really just learning, and don't have another windows 7 key to toy around with virtual box to see if I could handle ubuntu as my main OS.
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:19 AM »
+1
Windows 2.0beta  for the win....

I wonder if i still have a set of those floppys around.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
+1
I don't know what these companies are thinking.  First my rant was with Gnome3, but then Microsoft comes out and creates what many people are calling the worst blunder in OSes since Windows ME or Vista

MS is trying to do all the wrong things with this OS.  Picked up a Sony VAIO Tap 20 for my wife and daughter over xmas to replace her aging laptop. HW shortfalls aside (should support 1920x1080, have HDMI in, an eSATA port, more RAM), the idea of the thing would be great, except for Winblows 8.  This doesn't deter my wife; she's happy because she can lug the thing all over the house sans keyboard/mouse and my three year old can now operate a lot of things autonomously thanks to the touch screen (not being much of a precision mouse driver yet).

However, in the name of unifying their 'user experience' across platforms, they've shot themselves in the foot in the only market where they maintain dominance, the desktop pc.  If anything, Windows 8 is 'inside out'; all the touch crap should be an alternative gui mode invoked by swiping on a touch screen, otherwise out of sight. Their glorious tiled main desktop should be, well, just another app.  Touch/gesture interpretation and feedback settings should be available for all apps and users (perhaps this is the case however I haven't found any low level tweaks).  Meanwhile the tablet market is owned by ios and android, same with smartphones and MS goes and alienates their last remaining user base (ignoring the xbox for the moment).  Brilliant.

The most irritating things to get past was figuring out the modal side menu, originally finding how to bring up the desktop with a mouse when in a modal app, and adding a shortcut to the 'legacy' desktop for the start/programs directory (since there is no longer a friggin' start menu).  The thing I still don't like is having to figure out how to set/force each app to behave like a normal desktop app and not go all full-screen/modal/touchscreen retard.  And the 'clean' touch interface causes lots of other useless activity in the way of extra clicking in order to get at buried options in dialogs.  Was all this fluff really necessary just to get rid of the awful legacy visual control styles they adopted way back when?  While touch support is great to have for hardware that supports it, the rest of the gui was just a poor excuse to move up a version number.  I won't be putting Win 8 on anything else around here unless 7 disappears.

Why was this (and the Surface) such a bad idea by MS, aside from the fact that no one needs 20" diagonal file save dialog? Because hardware prices are falling off a cliff.  I could have bought several Android tablets for the price of a single copy of W8.  Basically their model for OS revenue is gone; they've been discounting Windows 8 Pro upgrades to try to boost adoption in face of this. Surface directly competes with other tablet manufacturers, rots o' ruck that they'll willingly adopt 8.  With all that in mind, I suspect fewer developers are going to look at this as their primary target platform.  More will look to things like Unity to get away from platform lock-in, I know I am.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:07:43 AM by ximan »

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
+1
Windows 2.0beta  for the win....

I just ran across my Windows 3.1 floppies.  I remember loading that on a modern system a few years back.  Booted in around a second.  It was telling about how bad code bloat has become.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline KaliOfLS

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
+1
 I won't be putting Win 8 on anything else around here unless 7 disappears.

Ditto.  You've more experience than I have with it, but it sounds absolutely terrible.

More will look to things like Unity to get away from platform lock-in, I know I am.

Ubuntu has come a long way way since my first go round with it.  Enabling the update as you install option, and it pretty much installs more ready to go than a windows platform.  I didn't like the 'unity' very much, but I've been able to hide it and use it the way I've always thought.  Had I another Windows 7 key, I'd test out virtual machine and see if I can run VM and play the games I like to play through it.   Hell, even at that rate, if we are in some event, forced to go windows 8, at least the table style, own your desktop without multitasking is just another application running inside the OS.  My only concern is the lack of policing of user supplied repositories.  However, I've never had a problem, but it is conceivable that a user could hide incredibly malicious software inside of one.  I hear that linux is working on a virus scanner though, so that's exciting.
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
+1
The play is supposed to be creating an OS that allows developing desktop and mobile a single platform shared code product. Has anyone poked around at this functionality? 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
+1
More will look to things like Unity to get away from platform lock-in, I know I am.
Ubuntu has come a long way way since my first go round with it.  Enabling the update as you install option, and it pretty much installs more ready to go than a windows platform.  I didn't like the 'unity' very much, but I've been able to hide it and use it the way I've always thought...
My bad, I was referring to Unity gaming engine, which is a cross-platform application/gaming api, not the Ubuntu window manager thingie.  These guys that abstract away all of the MS/Apple/Google specific crap of dealing with a UI, they're the future of app development in my mind.

The play is supposed to be creating an OS that allows developing desktop and mobile a single platform shared code product. Has anyone poked around at this functionality?
Haven't heard of it, would like to check it out. URL?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:36:16 PM by ximan »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
+1
Windows 2.0beta  for the win....

I just ran across my Windows 3.1 floppies.  I remember loading that on a modern system a few years back.  Booted in around a second.  It was telling about how bad code bloat has become.

This is why on my personal machines i tend to stay 1-2 versions behind the latest.  So that my nice new fast hardward doesnt slow down to old hardward levels...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Its hard to compete with Free..... Linex Free , Andriod Free...

If i was microsoft I would have realesed a free Tablet/Mobile OS just to gain market share and get manufacuters on board.  Even better would be a OS that would run 100% on existing andriod platforms and provide a nice slick way to switch from andriod to WIN ?? OS, and add in lots of free apps word, etc to encourange the switch.

They should also be releasing andriod/ios table version of word office etc to milk thier existing reputation before others steal that market from underneath then. Of course they would have to swallow the new pricing method/reality  as well .. no one is going to pay hundreds of $ for a andriod version of word

I would have also pushed the desktop platform forward for the powerusers, gamers, architects, designers, engineers, coporate etc.  Who are basically the only people will continue to purchase desktop or laptop PCs... everyone else from now on in is purchaseing a tablet of one form or another... which are nice and cheap becuase of no massive OS charges.

But its hard to accept the end of a gravy train...  lets milk the cash cow one more time lads... :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:30:25 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Neo

• Prime Program
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Neo barely matters.Neo barely matters.
  • Respect: +155
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »
+1
I have been using Windows 8 for a little over a month now and I'm actually enjoying it so far.

At first I was like: "AAAaAAArrrghHhHhHh"

And then I was like: "uuuUUuUughhhHh"

But after that it started growing on me and now I actually prefer it over Windows 7 (at least up until now).

I found it actually boots a LOT faster than Windows 7, which is nice.

Overall performance has also been better for me compared to Windows 7 ultimate.

Oh, and I don't actually use the tablet OS thingy in general, I just click on the desktop as soon as it boots and use it as if it were Windows 7. The only difference is that I use that weird new start menu for all my shortcuts that would have been on the desktop, so now I have a neat desktop and can access everything that would be filling my desktop on Windows 7, by clicking on the left-bottom corner start menu.

I haven't gone crazy exploring it and trying to brake it yet, but I think it's worth giving it a shot! :)
Never refuse an invitation.
Never resist the unfamiliar.
Never fail to be polite.
And never outstay your welcome.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
+1
I now am running it on 3 computers, and while I do still prefer windows 7 over windows 8, its starting to grow on me.... Its kind of like beating a really cool game and doing all the side quests, then they come out with the second one and change everything... At first you almost refuse to play it, but slowly it grows on you.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
+1
I wish I didn't buy it for this pc.. its alright I guess.. But I downloaded this program that gives me my start bar back.... without the start bar I was going crazy. I like a clean desktop.

Offline selam

• Activity:
    0%
  • selam has no influence.
  • Goes on smooth, Comes off hairy
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 03:07:19 AM »
+1
I recently got a new gaming pc. Although I wanted Windows 7.. I got good ol' 8. Honestly At first Windows 8 sucks, confusing for me atleast. Then I Downloaded Classic Shell which is a program that basically makes everything revert back to Windows 7 style. You can still swap in between the 2 platforms. Which is useful for some people. The one thing i do enjoy about Windows 8 is its 15 seconds from the time you press the On button till your desktop is loaded. I considered having a dual boot for windows 7 just incase I would have any compatibility issues in the future but i decided not too and I've yet to have any problems (6 months going strong), solid software for me so far. Change is hard.. but sometimes its worth it.

I've included the link for Classic Shell incase anyone wants to check it out. I've used since day 1 of booting my new computer. I can't say for sure its the best program for making you're Win8 look like Win7 but it's worked very well for me :D

http://www.classicshell.net/

Tags: