Author Topic: Stealth - Developer or Enduser ?  (Read 8416 times)

Offline playforfunTopic starter

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • playforfun has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Stealth - Developer or Enduser ?
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm completely new to this "Stealth" always thought the only thing to script in was EasyUO, but I like how stealth eats almost no CPU!

I want to learn how to script on this program, keep in mind I'm a complete NOOB. I have Notepad++ installed, but I see everyone with that cool black background program? Also I was wanting to learn how to sccript in Python as I could see as that bing more beneficial for other things then just UO hehe xD. However the best guide and most detailed is Pascal one maybe I should just learn that? Also how do I actually get the scripts to run?

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
Most of us use Crome's ScriptSDK which allows us to use C# as our programming language.  We compile the script into an EXE file which we can then run in Admin Mode.  We almost all use Visual Studio for this because it allows for you to make your code into a project and compile it. 
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline eSantcho

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • eSantcho has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 06:21:30 AM »
Greetings,

I been using EasyUO for a few years but I would like to find an alternative.  I see ScriptUO is not a EasyUO replacement option.  This is why I have searched the forums when I reviewed your post and have some questions.

"Crome's ScriptSDK which allows us to use C# as our programming language" - who makes this software?

"We almost all use Visual Studio" - is this Microsoft Visual Studio?

Thanks
eS

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:02:56 AM »
I use Stealth with SharpDevelop and have no problems as well, so there's even an alternative when it comes to the development environment.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Drabadan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Drabadan has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
Greetings,

I been using EasyUO for a few years but I would like to find an alternative.  I see ScriptUO is not a EasyUO replacement option.  This is why I have searched the forums when I reviewed your post and have some questions.

"Crome's ScriptSDK which allows us to use C# as our programming language" - who makes this software?

"We almost all use Visual Studio" - is this Microsoft Visual Studio?

Thanks
eS

Developer of ScriptSDK is Crome
Yes MS Visual Studio

Offline eSantcho

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:43:03 AM »
Okay thanks!

I just found Stealth -> http://stealth.od.ua/Main_Page and already started reviewing it.  I ran into a few problems setting it up but it looks like i got it working. 

Question - i have noticed sometimes when UO does an update I can avoid patching by opening UO via client.exe.  And other times, that method doesn't work, instead UO gives an error forcing me to patch.  This last patch required us to patch in order to play.   When I opened Stealth, edit profile, select shard and adjust the client version to a previous version it fails to log in. I appears some patches not even Stealth can get around.

Is there a work around so that I can get a previous version working?

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:07:23 AM »
Brush up on your Pascal or Python, scripts are not plug an play like they are with EUO until you've processed them. I've wanted to switch to stealth, or at least work with it for some scripts, but haven't been able to justify the time required for downloading software and learning new code to work with it(yet, it's a 20 year old game!).

I know stealth users swear by it but non Pascal/Python users may feel a disconnect, I did. "I've got this cool script, and I've got stealth running, but they don't work together until I do what?"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:09:00 AM by Gemviper »

Offline eSantcho

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 07:10:10 AM »
Aye... My current issue with EUO is - its not being updated as regular as it was in the past.  I'm hoping they still maintain it and not completely give up on it any time soon.  I even looked at UOSteam which seems easy to code. 

I don't mind dabbling with the Pascal or Python code and learning it, its just that is going to take time to port over in-depth scripts I wrote.  Not to mention all the brilliant scripts that folks already wrote will have to be re-built, YIKES.

This IDOC Runner is nice and gets me excited.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback and I hope you find your way as well.

eS

Offline Crome969

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:46:25 AM by Crome969 »

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
Crome, it's an awesome platform and is indeed great at what it does with loads of potential still to tap! Pls don't think I'm suggesting otherwise! I will eventually learn it especially if I have to wait days like right now to be able to fix EUO after a patch. I'm not elite so any delay by Cheffe means no scripting at all (unless TM eventually releases a public version, which he did cuz he's a nice guy!).

Stealth = the new sports car
Stealth script = the key to make it go

What I'm saying is that the above isn't quite true with stealth, you can have the platform and the script but not make it go because the script needs manipulation to be compatible, there's a 3rd process between the two that doesn't exist with EUO(EUO = script+platform=works). I would wager that most UO players are clueless about ScriptSDK or Python or Pascal, heck I'm a webmaster and can code PhP/SQL circles around most, wordpress has nothing on my sites, but I don't yet know those and it's blocking even me a bit.

- You've got a great how to video for loading up stealth and starting it on Youtube
- You've got great areas to learn about how to write a script

Both of those are new languages so to speak which take time to learn and master for new users. The middle part where you need to compile or prepare a script needs to be equally covered for a new user(forgive me if it is). A new user can figure out when they get stealth running right or can figure out if a script is running properly once it's running but getting a finished script ready to run on stealth... It's not obvious to most people who haven't done it yet(incl me).

I'm over simplifying here but I think stealth would get much more use if it was easier or more intuitive to get scripts running. Here is a basic frustration...

- "Oh Awesome, they posted a cool sounding script I want to try out, let me download that"
- "OK, I have stealth running, let me try to use this awesome script now"
- "Hmm, I have stealth running and I have this awesome script but... nothing... let me check what I need to do to make it work"
ScriptSDK takes the Communication API from Maxwell (included in sources) and extend it to a runuo derivived object orientated structure with more flexibility and features then raw stealth offers.
ScriptSDK is written in C# but can also be used in any .NET supported languange. Since Visual Studio exist now as community Edition, many user tend to use Visual studio from Microsoft. A good alternative is also Sharpdevelop.

The user who knows very little about Python or Pascal is left feeling  like  :-\

I understand that the user needs to put in the effort to learn, that goes unsaid. I'm not sure the disconnect is being addressed though when a user WANTS to learn to make things work, PROBABLY has managed to get stealth running, PROBABLY has managed to learn some about how to code a stealth script but just can't test things because of the requirement to prepare scripts for use with stealth.

Suggestion: You've got the stealth platform available and well doccumented, yay. You've got a scripts section with various scripts that do wonderful things, yay. Nobody who doesn't know something about Pascal or Python etc can make it work, boo. There needs to be a "You need to take this script and do THIS to it to make it work with stealth" or "This script will NOT work with stealth until you prepare it LIKE THIS" type documentation.

I'm sorry this is long, and I'm sorry if it's just me being dense, but there's something missing for the average user who knows nothing about Pascal or Python and doesn't have the required software to figure it out.

Solution: If stealth is a platform for developers then don't change a thing! If stealth is a platform for both developers AND users then require that any stealth script posted has BOTH a code version AND a compiled version that you can press "play" on after loading it into stealth(like is done with EUO)? All of the steps requiring Python, Pascal and 3rd party software(visual studio) to prepare a script aren't going to work for simple users, it's a foreign language to probably 99.9% of UO users.

Right now many, incl myself, keep putting stealth on the back burner because having the platform and a script doesn't mean we can use it. We'll get there, eventually, and it's a great platform, but it will frustrate users until they reach developer level with it... and that takes time.

I hope I explained that well enough, i'm not new to code and DO try to put in the time to learn things, even improve them, but the requirement to learn new code before being able to use your platform to even start learning to code scripts is a big commitment for simple users. I'm not complaining, just trying to explain the frustrations new users have a little.

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »

Solution: If stealth is a platform for developers then don't change a thing! If stealth is a platform for both developers AND users then require that any stealth script posted has BOTH a code version AND a compiled version that you can press "play" on after loading it into stealth(like is done with EUO)? All of the steps requiring Python, Pascal and 3rd party software(visual studio) to prepare a script aren't going to work for simple users, it's a foreign language to probably 99.9% of UO users.

Right now many, incl myself, keep putting stealth on the back burner because having the platform and a script doesn't mean we can use it. We'll get there, eventually, and it's a great platform, but it will frustrate users until they reach developer level with it... and that takes time.

I hope I explained that well enough, i'm not new to code and DO try to put in the time to learn things, even improve them, but the requirement to learn new code before being able to use your platform to even start learning to code scripts is a big commitment for simple users. I'm not complaining, just trying to explain the frustrations new users have a little.

[/quote]

Stealth is a platform for both.  You can use stealth to run scripts that are developed.  I write mine in C# and make an .exe file so that you just have to have stealth open and the exe will run the "script".  To develop you need to understand the language (no different than EUO where you need to understand that language) and write. ScriptSDK makes those who know C# an easy development platform to make an exe file.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Crome969

• Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
Re: Stealth - Developer or Enduser ?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 03:07:30 AM »

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 11:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the response, Crome. I'm at the point where I am comfortable with creating any script from scratch for EUO, and looking into updating the code myself when a patch comes(not there yet, only just started figuring that out), so hopefully soon I'll have my scripts in order for EUO and have more time to tackle Stealth soon. I'm late to the game as they say but you guys have all made it possible to figure out if you work at it a bit.

Much appreciated.

Offline Crome969

• Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
Thanks for the response, Crome. I'm at the point where I am comfortable with creating any script from scratch for EUO, and looking into updating the code myself when a patch comes(not there yet, only just started figuring that out), so hopefully soon I'll have my scripts in order for EUO and have more time to tackle Stealth soon. I'm late to the game as they say but you guys have all made it possible to figure out if you work at it a bit.

Much appreciated.

Scriptuo offers a large amount of resources to do that. I were once at the same point writing easyuo content, later openuo until a russian friend pointed me towards stealth. The first days i felt like the biggest noob ever. But this is long ago and my own wisdom increased as same as the complexity of stealth. The game may never die because that legacy, even if EA one day will stop support, there will be people playing the game we all love and care. Being late is not a problem, enjoy the game and learn what you want in your own pace. If you have questions about stealth ask them here or on stealth forum. People will be helpful if they can.

Offline playforfunTopic starter

• Restricted
  • Activity:
    0%
  • playforfun has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
I guess I will reply to this post since I originally made it, I've gotten some help when I first started (@Drabadan, thanks a ton!); lots of thing looked very foreign to me but instead of throwing it aside and just copy pasting peoples code I implemented their snippets into my personal codes to do small things altered what they showed me to my liking. Helped me a ton to understand how things worked, no I'm no amazing scripter; BUT I can practically write anything I want stealth to do using pascal ( wish I learned python; as it has more real world benefits... BUT PASCAL is NOOBIE friendly).

With that said I wish I knew how to use Pascal API instead that way I could make like GUI's and make more niffty optimal code but as of now I just really know stealth API which is OK for my basic need, if anybody would like to help me learn more or teach me for fun I'am open to anything or if you are a NOOBIE yourself and want some help from a seasoned NOOBIE I can help ya too lol.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:00:32 PM by playforfun »

Tags: