Author Topic: Nevermind, I closed my account!  (Read 21437 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Nevermind, I closed my account!
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »
Lol, time for a break and back to UO.  Was a fun diversion, and I still recommend this game to anyone that's tired of the same old WoW thing, or is bored to tears with Everquest.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline xxcaptainxx

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • xxcaptainxx has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nevermind, I closed my account!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
i used to play quite a bit, like the realm vs realm but it is to slow paced now for me to get back into

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
And RvR was something I was going to try this time around.  I just needed to build a 50th level character so I could unlock the ability to automatically generate 20th levels to start.  But after I got my character to 50th, I just lost interest.  Too bad, but I'll be back.

Boy, I remember when I first started DAoC how crowded it was on the servers.  But now even with all the servers linked, it's pretty dead.  WoW killed them handily.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Unimusha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Unimusha has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Daoc was the best game ever i seen, UO rolz 2 and WoW sucs

Offline cerit

• Activity:
    0%
  • cerit has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:03 AM »
I've always felt daoc killed itself with buffbots, thats why I moved on away from daoc after giving it a shot (had a lvl 50 minstrel).

Good to have you back!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
I finally ran my druid to 50th.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
Holy resurrected thread, Batman.

Offline rwek

• Activity:
    0%
  • rwek has no influence.
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:52:45 AM »
I know this is old - but I'll necro for something I loved.

DAOC was great.  I had 3 good runs at it.  Played beta and roped a bunch of Everquest friends into trying it out -  We had a bunch of arguements, and the guild split etc. But it was really fun for a few months.

I couldn't get past all the bugs.  When I hit 45 I still had a level 30 weapon.  Hibernia had no items itemized in any of their dungeons.  Yet Midgard had stuff.  So you go out to RvR and it was tough.  Lucky the player base was around level 30ish, so having a big level spread on them really helped out.

Quit before I was 50

Returned to the game after the big expansion w/ all the fancy items (forget name right now)  It really changed the complexity of the game.  Forced people to PVM just to compete in PvP - allowed you to have half a dozen clickies and special abilities etc.  After getting geared out and ML 10  wasn't too much longer and I quit again.

I came back for the Minotaur expansion - Pretty sure I was playing on the classic server then (no above mentioned expansion) imbuing system was full scale to make nice items.  Most anyone could spend a couple weeks levels and gearing and be ready for top lvl PvP -  I actually led the raid who was the first to capture the Mintaur relic event - 1 time event all attending got a statue or something.  Pretty cool time  Maybe 600 people pvping at once.

Tried to come back years later, and everything felt so clunky and dead I couldn't appreciate the game I once enjoyed.

It was right up there w/ some of the best pvp I have had.

Thanks for the memories

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
I really liked DAoC also.  I actually enjoyed going back and playing it again during my last encounter.  It was just very sad to see the game so devoid of people.  Hopefully they were all doing the PvP things.  I never did the PvP stuff that much, so I'm sad for that.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline demitoast

• Activity:
    0%
  • demitoast has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »
DaOC was the best thing that came after UO and possibly still is... the 3 way RvR system was just impressive and the relic that would force HUGE communcation across 3 realm gave me a lot of fun. I used to play as a Nigthshade of albion leading the rangers and other nightshades during relic wars. Ranger reporting new groups and counts of approaching enemy and getting ready to pincer while us Nigthshae took the acrchers crew climbing in relic keep was some of the best fun I ever had!

The best MMO to date imo are

Ultima Online
Dark Age of Camelot
Asheron Call 1

Yup, I feel all the others are just bad clones or clowns of what I feel a real mmo should look like!
(mortal online seemed to have potential... But that seem kinda failing)

Offline Ultimafreak77

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Ultimafreak77 has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »
I played in the DAoC beta and didn't like it... of course everything pales in comparison to Ultima Online.
The few. The proud. The AFK.

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 05:51:43 AM »
I played in the DAoC beta and didn't like it... of course everything pales in comparison to Ultima Online.

Yeah, it was the same for me. A friend got me a beta key and told me how great it was going to be but I could never get into it.

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »
I lol'd at seeing this thread, and the fact it keeps getting resurrected, but I know why it will probably keep getting resurrected...

I left UO for DAoC when it launched in 2001. It was seriously an awesome game and remained that way for a few years. They got two things right, a sense of community and hands down the best mass pvp system ever put into a game, it scaled beautifully.

Who doesn't love the idea of rushing at a keep and trying to siege it with friends while the other side, who didn't know you were coming more often than not, had to scramble the alert to get people out to the frontier to defend. For those less interested in the grind of working a character up there was a mid game PvP system that was also awesome starting at level 19... even I'm guilty of rolling new toons just to get them to those BGs and then deleting them and starting over to get back there again(you leveled out eventually).

I don't think it was WoW that killed DAoC, people left in droves after a bad expansion(Trials of Atlantis) forced a whole new level of grind pain by adding artifacts that needed a grind to activate and another grind to empower. A dozen trials, most requiring big groups, for each artifact and each character... and the RvR(realm vs realm) was out of reach until you had done a whole lot of stuff you didn't particularly want to do.

I tried their 10 day return for free program a few months ago, it was still busy on Ywain 1, but the mass RvR is gone. The other change, that NOBODY asked for or wanted, was a complete re-work of the frontier to where you can't run out your gates to get to the keeps anymore. The old RvR zones, like Emain, also became empty as people were forced into new map layouts and it sucked.

They got rid of the port to the keep, a 15 min wait on "the pad", but replaced it with an even longer boat ride that you had to jump off of at just the right time.. which was worse. DAoC 2001-2004/5 was amazing, it's not that game anymore except on free servers who play the original rules only. I loved that game...

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 07:02:10 AM »
That's good info there Gem.  I was sort of aware of several of the expansions that drove people away, but since I bailed pretty early on, I didn't really know what exactly happen to poison the well.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 01:33:21 AM »
I bailed in 2005/2006 I think, though maybe earlier.

- Work a character to 50, OK
- Work 12 trials, each with 10+ steps, most requiring big groups and having only a small % chance you win a roll... hmmm
- If you got it done, which most did not, and got your perfect artifact... now you need to grind it's experience... nope.

I finished one and finished maybe 50% of a second and was so burned out I left the game... and guess what?!

WoW just thought it was a good idea to introduce artifacts and leveling of those artifacts, and since each character has 3 varieties(4 for a druid) and each artifact weapon is specific to class/role, you have 3-4 artifacts to quest for and then level. The burnout is probably setting in right about.... NOW.

I fully expect to see WoW numbers plummet in the near future, like they did during Pandaria(lost 60% of subs!). Even their claimed subscriber numbers are now bogus because you can buy 1.5 years worth of gametime for gold in game, right off the AH.

What's bad for WoW is good for UO, it brought me back :) Heck I didn't even consider checking out Titanfall that released a couple days ago, UO will be my last MMORPG.

Tags: