Author Topic: Public Service Announcement re: IDOC finding  (Read 3538 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Public Service Announcement re: IDOC finding
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »
Keep Britannia Clean!

Hey guys. It's no secret that idoc hunting via script is a bit out of hand lately. TONS of people are doing it right now and that's fine. I just want to say that if you want to keep on doing it to try and be a little smarter about it, pls. This is in reference to a particular script not from this site, but it applies to any rail type finder... pls stop doing what you see below(if you are) before Mesanna gets the bright idea to turn off pathfinding from the game or some other method to appease the non-scripters who complain.

example: Notice the house sign is even mocking you, it's that widespread right now! The runes on the ground have a datestamp(hour+minute+second) that are signature to a particular script, look...

- Players are checking out the runes the script marked and when they find it to be fake they drop the rune, try trashing it so it's not obvious?
- Players are not adding any type of fake sign control to their scripts, see a simple example on how to below
- Maybe even change the datestamp to simply say condition and only mark a time on runes from Greatly houses?

People have been screaming about scripters and IDOCs for a long, long time but the number of people doing it now(thanks in part to automatic finding scripts) is making it a problem, imo. Lets not make it easy for Mesanna to decide it's time to break these scripts, and possibly take out others at the same time? Removal of pathfinding, for example, would break both the finders and the looters of a good number of scripters.

Simple fix to ignore most standard fake house names and engraved signs would be, in the checkhouse2 sub about 2/3 of the way down there is a
Code: [Select]
if condition IN #propertyjust replace it with something like
Code: [Select]
if condition IN #property && Name: , #spc , Condition: notin #Property && Engraved notin #Propertyto avoid marking any engraved sign or sign starting off with "Name: Condition:" which is on most of the fake idocs. Note that the word engraved will also ignore any IDOC if the owner name is engraved or if the name contains the word but the fix is intended to get most fakes as easily as possible.

You can also replace "set %runetext Slightly , #spc , #time" with just "set %runetext Slightly" to get rid of the datestamp on whichever condition you change. That datestamp is telling enough that even I could figure out which script is doing it  ;)

Oh, and to the guy who runs that script at least once a day and sometimes twice(you get hung up on my steps every time, lol)... it takes 5 days to decay from start to finish so... why? This wasn't meant to preach or offend, it's more of a request that you not be that guy who ruins it for everyone... IDOCs are a sensitive subject :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:18:33 PM by Gemviper »

Offline cybercasper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • cybercasper has no influence.
  • Respect: +41
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Public Service Announcement re: IDOC finding
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »
Nice call gem. i have those problems myself but im not dumb enough to drop the rune right there at the house. thank you for that fix i appreicate it

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:07:54 AM »
You're welcome. If you find more fake signs you can create a string and add them as you find them but that should get 90%+ of the ones I see. My worry is that the number of fake signs going up is a testament that some scripters aren't being careful enough, imo.

Turn stealth on, avoid making rails that take you within a couple tiles of the front corners of houses and profit. I think it's the seconds on that script that give it away the most(and the fact your journal fills up with "pathfinding" spam) because... who writes the time down to the second at an idoc?  :o
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:11:41 AM by Gemviper »

Offline cybercasper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • cybercasper has no influence.
  • Respect: +41
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
Yeah isn't that the truth I play on a few different shards but when I'm on Atlantic there are so many people that say hey it is falling at this time so I know numerous people run the idoc script and I'm pretty sure they mark houses that have that in the tile. But it's funny how the person just dropped the ruins in front of ur house like who cares

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »
Thanks Gem for reminding people, but overall it has me laughing so hard because of the people who don't pay attention to how their gameplay affects others and their downright stupidity on how to get caught by a GM.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Tags: