Poll

Would you be interested in a contest awarding the top 3 scripts targetting the High Seas Adventure Booster Pack?

I would love to see a contest! It may motivate people!
A contest may be a good idea.
No way! A contest would not motivate anyone.
Stupid Idea!

Author Topic: High Seas Adventure Script Contest  (Read 5548 times)

Offline OracleTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +150
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
High Seas Adventure Script Contest
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
This contest would run for thirty days and would award the top 3 Scripts with a various degree of prizes.  I would be supplying the prizes such as a Free Booster Pack Token, 30 and 90 day Gametime Codes, and Gold.  If there is an enthusiastic response, then the contest will be run for 30 days with votes submitted by SUO Members and Staff... This would award those Script Writers that go out of their way to help others have an enhanced Ultima Online Playing experience and maybe motivate some others that don't feel that they are getting anything for their Scripts!

Put down your honest vote and let's see if we can get some good ol' Competition going...!
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +299
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: High Seas Adventure Script Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:02:30 AM »
LOL- I just started to wonder how many yes votes were from the actual scripters that would be writing the entries or nonscripting members yelling "Hell Yeah" in front of their screen.  This vote could be a landslide of yes votes without participants.  I can't wait to see what happens if the poll is a resounding yes.  So many possibilities yet so many questions.   :o

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
Could be Fun, I'm about to go on lay off from work, so I should have some free time come November.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +299
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19:24 AM »
Yeah, it is my understanding that to be competative on boats and boat wars... you will need someone on a tinker to be fixing the boat and doing cannons.  The folks that dominate the seas will certainly be running an automated system or find a role player that is dying to play a tinker for hours straight.  Everthing is currently multi-step.  Oracle posted a few examples of step related tasks on boats.  I know they want to make it party driven and bring skills into the useful category whenever possible but they are encouraging scripting by design again.  It would of been smarter to make the stuff one or two steps max and only completable by a character with tinker etc. instead of tons of steps.  Regardless, it is going to be sweet to see what happens. 

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
I had the same thoughts when I read about the ship to ship combat.  Made me think about the potential for a script that would allow me to manage a fleet of four orc boats and become the scourge of Brittania's seas. Harrr!
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »
LOL- I just started to wonder how many yes votes were from the actual scripters that would be writing the entries or nonscripting members yelling "Hell Yeah" in front of their screen.  This vote could be a landslide of yes votes without participants.  I can't wait to see what happens if the poll is a resounding yes.  So many possibilities yet so many questions.   :o

Yes the votes need to be oriented toward ones that will be actually competing and not members that might get something out of the competetion. Even if it be you are beta testing one of the scripts.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
I am guessing that there are a mixture of Scripters and Script Users, but this contest would help those that actually Script by rewarding them for making an awesome script and perhaps make them feel a little more appreciated.  Scripts will definetly be needed when the High Seas Booster Pack comes out tomorrow.  I for one don't want to lose a ship battle, just because I can't automate my cannon firing even if I am battling an 'NPC" Ship which does have automation.  Even boarding the ships is different because you now click on the rope on the deck of the ship.

So far the 'Yes' is in the lead.  I am wondering who voted "No", that it would not make any difference and their reasoning behind it?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:27:37 PM by Oracle »
ORACLE

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »
Wondering if I should continue with the Contest or not?  It is already to go, but given the state of Easy UO and Open EUO, I am not sure...what do you guys think?

ORACLE

Offline SunTigress

• TopTwo's Woman
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • SunTigress has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
I think this contest is dead in the water without EUO
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. There is no use in making a fool of yourself.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +219
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Dead.  Sorry, man.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:01:58 PM »
Easy UO has been updated and is working with the current Client and High Seas Adventure Booster.   I have posted the Contest in the "Submit Your Script" Forum!

So it was only mostly dead, not all dead.  Went to Miracle Cheffe and he made a chocolate-coated pill to restore it's glory!

ORACLE

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
The problem now is the fact that he is going to only update for a month, making a script that will take time to make and might only be good for 30 days is a lot to ask.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
Change your contest rules to require the script to be written in LUA for OEUO...
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
The Script Contest Rules have been changed to:  The Script MUST be written is LUA for use with Open EUO...

The Contest can currently be found here:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=6304.0

ORACLE

Offline SLAYER

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • SLAYER has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
....or nonscripting members yelling "Hell Yeah" in front of their screen... 

The real truth comes out!  Ty C2 i havn't laughed that hard from a post inawhile i guess i need to read more!

Tags: