Author Topic: Scripting/coding in other languages  (Read 3381 times)

Offline NoobieTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Noobie has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Scripting/coding in other languages
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
I have a question for anyone out there that uses other program languages. Now that I have been messing with scripts for the last year or so I have been completely consumed with learning how to write scripts and I enjoy it almost as much as playing UO. I have not wrote anything UBER nor do I think I am good at scripting, but now that I am writing scripts it has made me wonder if I would enjoy learning HTML or some other programming  languages. Is writing code for UO scripts like writing in other languages? Is there a language that is recommended for someone that thinks they are interested in programming?

Offline Superslayer

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Scripting/coding in other languages
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
While I certainly cannot recommend a language that may be easy to learn, I will say that since I've learned how to script in EUO, I have taken steps in learning C# and even made a small .exe that will (eventually) support UO scripting. At the moment, I'm even learning how to set up a FTP Server and Web Server for my home (and possibly the Elite of the Elite to share with).

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »
I have been looking at setting up a home server as well. I was watching some things on it on youtube today. Are there any sites you recommend to learn about a home server as well?

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:28:52 PM »
HTML is not really a "programming language". Think of it as more like Photoshopping in Code form. As for relating UO to other languages, C  or C++ is probably the best one to start with. It contains pretty much everything that any other language does. From there, you can easily move on to C# or Java as well as many other languages. You will find direct comparisons in C to what you know in EUO (such as: repeat/until loops = do/while loops in C). I am currently in the process of transitioning from C to Java (for class) and find it pretty darn easy!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »
Are there any good sites out there that offer a layout like the documentation pages of Euo to learn C++ or any other language for that matter?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:26:43 AM »
I think C++ is way to ambitious a transition from EUO Script. If you got the time and motivation do it.  But you might find moving to Visual Basic and easier stepping stop.   As for info sites.. thier are so many its imposible to list. Start with free microsoft texts. Move onto Free Google Book Texts and then when your stuck on a subject do a google/whatever search.. and you will find your answer.

HTML if i rember correctly = Hyper Text Markup Language.

On another not Noobie glad to see you posting again .. did you take a break ?? Post of some of your scripts or if you get stuck feel free to post up a question.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:54 AM »
http://www.cplusplus.com/

Great site for C referencing. My advice is just pick up a cheap C for beginners book that has samples for you to run through. That's always the best way to learn!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
Thanks!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »
Any books that you recommend For a real NOob?

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
Give this one a try.  I gave it to a friend a year or so ago as a gift and he actually has some grasp of programming now.  when i talk to him he can actually comment on the ideas that i throw at him now.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Experience-Technology/dp/1598633740/ref=pd_sim_b_5

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:30 PM »
Thanks for the info! I like that site it has lots of good stuff on it.

Tags: