Author Topic: [UO Herald News] Producer's Update - April 2010  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Spaz FerretTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    1%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Spaz Ferret has no influence.
  • I LIKE COFFEE!!
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
[UO Herald News] Producer's Update - April 2010
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
Producer's Update - April 2010

Warning:

I will not cover every topic that is on your mind.

I will, however, address the next publish, as well as how we
are looking forward into the middle of this summer. I will address
speedhacking; player memorials; the enhanced client sprint; a brief note on
factions and test centers, and some changes we are submitting specifically for
our Japanese community.

There will be several other items in this note, however if
none of the above appeal to you, please do not read further.

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=1039

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: [UO Herald News] Producer's Update - April 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »
Code: [Select]
This will be a non-intrusive update to the client that will interact with scripters using their
programs to gain advantage over those players who prefer to play by the
rules and inside the guidelines.

Hmmmm... I dont think that scripters gain that great of an advantage over "rule players" other than less wrist damage.  They should be targeting the speeders!

JaF

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:38:40 PM by JustAnotherFace »
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
So...what do we think it is?

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
If EA can see transparently who is using what I think their going to be in for a shock. I'd like to see the numbers...count me crazy but I would imagine the people using EasyUO or other 3rd party programs outweigh or come close to the volume of players that are playing 'legitimate'.

Reminds me of when a close friend of mine joined a start up internet company and the Manager wanted to start a drug testing policy. Some of those close to the manager had to inform him that if he did that he would lose about 90% of his workforce. That idea quickly went out the window...

We'll see what happens. I think EA is going to have to pick and choose their battles on this issue. I don't think anyone will fault them if they address issues that will level the playing field when it comes to PvP. If they want to dive beyond that their will be some backlash I have no doubt.

For a game that isn't receiving much promotion and advertisement it doesn't make sense to implement a policy that will eliminate a good market share of their playerbase. On the other hand up until now we've seen some crazy things in regards to how UO has been run as a business.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
From a programmers stand point the 1st thing that comes to mindis this.  If they are not going to use intrusive software.  The other ways are to watch for packets arriving faster than normal by player usage and the other way would be to watch for repetitive actions or patterns in an AFK player.  The later would be an easy work around by adding in a random action generator as a sub to all scripts which I have been already working on :)  Just some ideas if anyone else has other ideas please voice them no matter how large or small.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:28 AM »
I think we can code around any sort of pattern recognition or timer check, which is why I think it will be something more substantial.  I hope I'm wrong and ultima is right, though...

:(

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:54:45 AM »
All I have to Say Is MOOOOOOO.

If they start doing that sort of stuff I'm going to start REALLY adding in a random generator with profanity and doing extremely stupid things.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Tags: