Author Topic: How to Cast Fields in the Direction of your Mouse cursor @ a set Distance?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Question:
How would you calculate the X/Y location 14 tiles distance from your character in the DIRECTION of your mouse cursor?

OK...  so I've always been aware that field spells can be cast more than 10 tiles.... but recently came up against a group of people that were dropping fields on me from offscreen where I KNOW they couldn't have simply set that as a last target.  It's possible they had macros but it was in a few different choke points so I think it's unlikely.   I'm also aware that you can increase your resolution in various ways to do this, but in 3 cases the SPEED with which walls of stone went down make it seem like a preset macro to me (though in 4 different places argues against this)....

So....  What I was thinking of is a way to cast certain spells have have a script running that recognizes which spell is cast & allows you to target that spell say 14 tiles away from your #charpos X/Y but in the direction you have your mouse cursor obviously.  I realize I could use #chardir and then just have maybe 8 (N-S-E-W & the diagonals) pre-calculated X/Y offsets to determine where to drop your spell.  This is far from the best method though bc your character isn't always facing in the direction you want to cast your spell (though your cursor could be to that side).    Ah well...  I know there's a sub that converts Cursor position to in game world coordinates I'm just not sure that's what I'm looking for.   

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
You could do what you're asking using #cursorx and #cursory but I doubt that's what they are doing.

What you are describing is easy to do without a script. Simply having the character itself as last target and timing a field with a teammate in Vent is all it takes. I haven't played much for a bit but we used to do that all the time; field-fight teamwork 101. Maybe I'm not understanding the scenario though.

You can do the same thing with Teleport and keep pace with someone if you're good at it.

Also, Razor allows you to force any resolution you want. It can make things a bit laggy if you go too high but running 1024x768 works pretty well and allows you to get a view of the entire star room or the Island in Despise in one screen. That helps as well.

Can you cast 14 tiles away?

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
is it possible they just have their screen resized larger?

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
is it possible they just have their screen resized larger?
Yep, we both mentioned that ;)
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline camotbik

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • camotbik has no influence.
  • Hello! I'm a UO addict.
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: How to Cast Fields in the Direction of your Mouse cursor @ a set Distance?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:47:09 AM »
this might sound ridicilus, but you could set margins of cursor, for example

if #CURSORX < 600 && #CURSORY < 300 ; so that's left upper corner off the screen, so with only few ifs, you can do whatever you wanted there to do..
What you witness -- is whatver..
uogamers hybrid.

Tags: