Author Topic: Weird crashing problems?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline OMGBurgersTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Weird crashing problems?
« on: January 21, 2021, 02:42:04 PM »
I haven't played UO in a few years, but have started recently.  My friend had trouble getting a few of my scripts working and when I team viewed in, he was crashing oddly and just blamed it on his computer.

Last night I experienced a crash similar to his, but I was locked out actually logging onto any character on the shard and just stuck at "entering britainna...".  After about 45 minutes it cleared and let me back on.  I was able to log on all other shards, just not the one I originally crashed on.

The scripts I was running was just a cross healer, and a combat assister, two scripts.  Each script does all actions on a client, swaps to the next, and repeats.  Obviously the healing one just uses a bandage and targets.  The combat one is only arming special moves.

I've never experienced something like this before, and have ran these scripts along with others at the same time for like 5+ years easily lol.

Has there been any changes to anything in UO or easyuo that could be causing a problem?  My scripts currently do client swapping at intervals of about 20-50ms on average and gather info and act when needed, so not sure if thats a problem now, but never has been.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
Re: Weird crashing problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »
Now EasyUO have an auto updater,  just pointing that now since you are returning.

Event without script, UO crash,   Recall Home, trading window.  We can't explain  what happen.     If I crash and have my swap script turn on,  I usually pause it  if it haven't stop,   this way I can safely log in,  some time I did have that black screen logging in,   and getting stuck their.   

Other reason to crash, it performing two action at same time.  EasyUO hate that.  looting gold and moving 2 title. Looting items and you moving open bag window.   In my experience EasyUO have become more sensitive to double action then before.   

The question is: what were you doing with your mouse while running the script

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »
The only actions being performed is using a bandage, and arming a special move.  I've never had this problem in the past before, and I've ran similar scripts for hours a day without fail.

I am using UOSteam, so I am going to just off the basic client and see if UOSteam is the problem, though I previously used it lol.

Like you said the only time I have ever had problems/crashes from scripts is dragging while moving, expecially with exevent, and issuing move/pathfind commands while not logged in (if you forget to pause some at a DC lol)

I was just wondering if it's something anyone else experienced.  I've played UO about 16 years and scripted a bulk of it, and never experienced it locking me out of a shard on just one account before.  I tried everything, restarting, razor, vanilla client, using a hotspot instead of wifi for a different ip etc.  Nothing worked.  I was worried my account was flagged haha

I'm going to do some testing now.  I'll go ahead and record the screen and do some tests.

Offline Gaderian

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Gaderian barely matters.Gaderian barely matters.
  • Respect: +50
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »
I'll second what The Ghost said about that. Used to be EUO was more stable with uoxl swap actions and how it interacted with clients.

I have had the black screen for a bit on my character/account trying to login. I never tried logging into other shards with the same account to see if my symptoms really match yours...

There are some other threads here where we discussed EUO and Client crashes. I find if it crashes, I have to stop everything - close all clients and Easyuo, make sure no remnants in task manager for either of those and start over.

I always start Easyuo, then use it to start all the clients I want. I have the most issue where if EUO crashes, I can't start a new EUO when clients originally 'bound' to the first EUO are still running. Before the 'auto update' that The Ghost mentioned, I do not recall this kind of requirement - EUO and the UO Client were happier to interact with each other, but not now.

Most crashes I have experienced involve doing more than 1 thing at a time on the same client which is what The Ghost suggests above. Dragging an item and moving more than 2 tiles from it's source location before dropping it - 100% of the time crashes the client. 2 Clients trying to drag the same item - 100% of the time crashes the client. Others have talked about uoxl swap behaving differently than it used to. Your description sounds similar.

The vast majority of client crashes happen from trying to do more than 1 thing at the same time.
A few crashes can happen because of management of resources.

The most obvious defense against crashes because the client is asked to perform more than 1 thing at a time involves setting good timers and checks or simply hard coded waits.

Your initial description seems very likely that more than 1 thing happening at a time or too close together. It would be trivial to create a log of when your events happen to prove it is or is not a timing issue. Just a few minutes reading the last 2-3 years worth of posts on the CLAW looter will show that many have experienced issues - which is of course related to doing more than 1 thing at a time. The players are running some assist script along side the CLAW and don't have their own script pause while looting. It is a guarantee the issue is doing more than 1 thing in too short a time span. Most naively do not want to accept that is the case - though all evidence points to this being the issue.

First, you want to eliminate any such timing issues. If that doesn't solve the problem then there is a more technical issue involving uoxl swap.

The uoxl swap is reported as slower than before the auto-update feature was available. I haven't personally timed it, just discussed it. So if you have code that was written for the older EUO (pre-auto update) and are experiencing issues based on the timing, you may find it can help to slow it down slightly. I know it is possible to swap every 1-2ms (and you mentioned 20-50ms), but the new auto-update means there is more things that have to happen when swapping between clients. So you will have to expect it will take longer. Even if you swap between clients every 200ms (a ridiculously long wait period which is not what I am recommending)- the shortest reasonable client actions happen at 1 to 1.25 second intervals. So a script must come back around at that interval.

You are talking about setting specials, targets and using a bandage. None of those actions will complete in under about .75 seconds and can wait to happen at 1 second intervals or longer. You can swap among 5 clients and not notice a functional difference at 200ms per swap. I know we all had stuff that could uoxl swap in sub 10ms periods a few years ago, but now with the instability that probably is not reliable in all situations.

This slight delay is what I would try first. Something as simple as adding a "wait 1" statement after the "uoxl swap" line would be more than enough to allow it to slow down enough.

If your situation is just too slow to swap between clients every 100ms, then you can dig into compiling Easyuo yourself:
There is slightly older source code for EUO and you can compile your own under a VM of an older MS Windows OS. This is before the auto-update feature was implemented. It seems to be more stable for the uoxl swap related issues. I know that source code is before the current menu code changes were implemented. There are a few other obsolete or new features in EUO since that source code was posted. Nothing that is critical to making scripts that do what you want. The major 2 features to give up are the auto-update and allowing more than 1 menu.

So you would be left with only old menu functions and the requirement to manually update the memory locations for accessing the client functions when the client is updated.

Gaderian
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:25:10 PM by Gaderian »
"Go ahead ask me: 'Should I use hard waits or timers?'"
You say:"Should I"
Gaderian:"Timers!"
You Say:"use hard waits or timers?"

The serious side of timer use is illustrated here: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=12094.msg101926#msg101926

However, every time I go back and look at this [AutoLooter] script, I realize I had wrote it in my zen state of EUO scripting - so it makes my brain hurt.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:11 PM »
I know this isn't an issue about performing actions, all of my scripts use a action queue system I implemented in all my scripts so they can work without interfering with each other, and the only action being performed is a bandage healing script.

I've also never had the black screen problem logging in.  Last night I encountered it just getting stuck on the grey screen/gumps for "Entering Britannia..."

What you mentioned about the uoxl swap is a good idea.  I can slow down the bandage one a bit and even the combat one a bit I suppose.

I've been searching google and came across a lot of people complaining about it crashing also so at least I know it's not just me haha.  They all suggest loading in certian orders, and also I found this on the Technical Problems board (http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=54153).  They say to start all clients before loading easyuo.  I'll just keep messing around.

I've had my combat script going for about close to 2 hours without a crash so far.  But I'm also using just one client swapping script.  I'll start checking if it could be related to multiple client scripts running at the same time and all.  Hopefully I can figure it out, if I do i'll post what seems to help lol.

Thanks for the ideas!  And also about the update to the menu, I didn't know that change was ever implemented lol.

Offline Gaderian

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:35:13 PM »
"Entering britannia gump" I know exactly how to fix that one!

You will need to close all your clients.
Close your EUO.
(Check task manager that no residual uo client stuff is still there)
Open EUO (first... nevermind what people say the other way...)
Open your client(s)

All will be good.

The issue is related to the EUO hooks into the uo client. Now when you start a new client... it doesn't setup the hooks correctly. It may be a permission issue or it may be a "memory protection" issue (my theory!).
By restarting all, you do not have the conflict of the memory of the client being corrupted.

This happens on OSI and freeshard. So it is EUO to uo client based - not client to server issues.

Gaderian

The serious side of timer use is illustrated here: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=12094.msg101926#msg101926

However, every time I go back and look at this [AutoLooter] script, I realize I had wrote it in my zen state of EUO scripting - so it makes my brain hurt.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »
Sounds more like a steam issue,
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:36 PM »
For the past hour I haven't had any problems by starting all 3 clients first, and easyuo last.  I'm running 4 scripts that all swap clients, along with UOSteam.

I'm going to give it a go another hour and then off to bed and will test different methods tomorrow.

Restarting my computer wouldn't clear the "Entering Britannia..." error previously, so I'm not sure closing all in the task manager will, but I'll try.

Offline Gaderian

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 11:43:30 AM »
I always start euo first then all my clients from EUO using the new client button. Works well for me.

Tags: