Author Topic: Idea for SUO. New script "templates"?  (Read 13138 times)

Offline OMGBurgersTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Idea for SUO. New script "templates"?
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
I've been writing a lot of scripts lately and a lot of them I have been using the following subs:

contwait
clickmod
TM's recall
craft subs
pathfind sub

Basically I'm using the same subs over and over again, but each time I have to copy & paste them in.

Was thinking it would be cool if you could have a like user built library where you add in those useful universal subs. Then when you create a new script you could either choose a predefined template that chooses which of those subs to include from your library, or you could be prompted with a list of subs in your universal subs library, and you check which ones you want added and when the script is created they are already added in there.

I know it means extra work I just thought of the idea lol.  Thought it would be possibly cool and something to just throw out there.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Idea for SUO. New script "templates"?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
Sure, we can do that.  I can also add my call header so they can be called or gosub-ed. 

So if people want to post up other ideas and possibly specific code, we can catalog and document it.  I have a wiki started and we can document it there too.

Internally, I have a whole bunch of subs cut out and pasted into a vast library I use, but when I release a script, I like to have the code self supporting.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:52:39 AM »
Yeah I'm the same way lol.

I just wrote a lot of subs that I have found really to be kinda universal to a lot of my scripts.  Then some scripts have part, and the others have part, so I gota open em all up and pull the prewritten subs to use in the new script.  It just seems to be a repeating process for me as of late lol.

It just hit me tonight that It COULD be easier.  Heck I could make it easier on myself by having a txt file with my universal subs and just copy & paste it each time, but I think i'd have a lot unused depending on the type of script.

I think it's just that i've been working again with Solidworks and I created a bunch of new file templates so I don't have to set a buncha settings and stuff each time.  Thought it would be cool for users to create and populate a library of their own for script development, either their own subs, or the vast variety of public bullet proof subs that are prewritten.

I got side tracked with my late projects because of sickness & work.  Now that I'm spending a buncha time at work I wanted to script mining again.  Well I had this crazy idea I wanted to do and decided to find the last version of my miner I started a long time back and modify it lol.  I read through it and decided the container/gump wait sub was too long, so I used my newest one, the recall sub was junk, so I used your recall handling routines, the scanjournal was before I knew about #jindex, so that had to go, the crafting subs I improved on etc.  So I started having to pull all those subs from my other scripts to get em lol.

If anyones interested in what I'm doing I'm revamping my old recall miner I started a long time back on UOC.  I'm just keeping the miner the same overall but reading through it and improving a LOT.  I can only imagine what 12x had to change with it when he took over it haha, I saw so many weird things I did!  So I made basic improvements like #jindex usage, TM's recall subs, got rid of unneeded gotos and did while/repeat loops for the most part.  Things were running good and I got sick of the no metal to mine message after digging a vein dry.  So I went to a cave and learned how the 8x8 resource grids worked and coded it that once it digs a vein dry, it ignores all other tiles in that 8x8 resource square for that cycle (Once it moves to the next rune location, it resets that temp ignore list).  It's REALLY sped it up a LOT and I'm extremely happy.  I don't want to post the script publicly cause I'm not making a fancy menu and all, just wanted it for personal use but I'm going to forward it to 12x if he wants to see what I did on the resource gridpart if he hasent done so yet that way he can throw it in his.

But really the main reason I'm editing it is because I'm going to have it mine all day while I work/sleep.  There will be a hourly timer where it recalls to luna and grabs the cloth/iron bods, then logs out and gets the bods for the remaining 5 characters.  Once it gets the other bods it'll log back on and mine!  It's a crazy weird thing I have going on which is exactly why I'm not posting it haha.  I'm sure ppl would go to try it and be like hey wtf is all these other settings!  But I can't wait to come home to a crap pile of ingots, and a buncha bods to fill and try my luck on :P  Let's see how long till I get banned again though LOL.

PS:  sorry for writing so much.  I get sidetracked a LOT.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:57:22 AM »
Ohhhh, I was going to ask you about that miner!  Uber cool script that one was!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
i like how it will grab bods..  I would love that!  That way i can gather resources and do my BOD gathering ALL IN ONE!!!!  :)  i hope you release it so i can use it atleast :)
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
I didn't really want to release it just because of the complexity of it to the average user, and the thought of trying to support people using it, but eh maybe I'll change my mind.  At the very least I can throw it in the Elite section.  I'm still doing a bunch of brainstorming and messing around with it.  I've never used a fire beetle but I'm thinking they could speed things up as far as cutting back on the crazy amount of recalling back/forth.  But if you move too fast I assume it would be possible to mine all your locations faster then they are respawning lol.  If that ends up being the case I'll just make it multi runebook supportive which I didn't want to do because I'll be running 3 accounts with it, which means I would need to find even more reliable safe mining spots ;*(.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »
Oh, you know, I think I totally missed your intentions with this.  Are you talking about having this as part of ScriptUO, THE PROGRAM?  I don't know why I didn't catch that until now.  Too much vodka I guess.  I guess you are looking for something like MS Office does when they are asking in you are looking to create a resume, shopping list, etc?  Or be able to do custom templates?

Actually one of the features I have been toying with is kinda like this.  I'm like you where I have set subs I use over and over, but I thought about having a wizard that lets me kinda setup what initial subs I want to pull into the start of the script from a user described repository.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »
that is such a great Idea.  it would be great to have a gosubscript that calls a sub from the program.  they tried this with Code Name Alexandria years ago.  a Huge Compilation of sub all's you had to do was call them from file.  the problem with it was it relied on contkinds witch is an outdated type of internal check.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »
If anyones interested in what I'm doing I'm revamping my old recall miner I started a long time back on UOC. 

I'd love to see this, I was just about to dust off my miner since I got my fill of ASOS and Pearls now.

also with Imbuing I'd like to get a nice collection of Gems on hand.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
Actually one of the features I have been toying with is kinda like this.  I'm like you where I have set subs I use over and over, but I thought about having a wizard that lets me kinda setup what initial subs I want to pull into the start of the script from a user described repository.

That's exactly what I was thinking :P  What you just described as part of SUO itself.  I get a bit carried away talking about other things too lol.

Offline cgeorgemo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:57:02 AM »
Now this seems like a really good idea.
Would an insert function work to do this?
Similar to how a program can insert a file into a document you can specify a sub routine to be inserted by clicking through a menu?
Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »
I skipped down after reading the first two posts.

I would suggest adding gumpwait and waitforcursor.  If those werent suggested :)
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Tags: