Author Topic: Buying a Domain Name  (Read 2634 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Buying a Domain Name
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
So I want to buy the domain name for my last name.com that someone has registered and is not using. I looked it up on Whois and it looks like it is someone in Korea.  I can pay GoDaddy $69 for their buy service, but that seems sort of silly.  Anyone have any insight into this sort of thing?  

Apparently it is up for auction on a website called Sedo with a minimum bid of 1,000 EU.

Welcome to KICA, Inc. dba DomainCA.COM's WHOIS Service

Domain Name: XXXXXXX.COM
Domain Status: REGISTRAR LOCK
Registrar: Korea Information Certificate Authority, Inc. dba DomainCA.com
Referral URL: http://www.DomainCA.com

Registrant:
    CHUSA
    103-3
    Yong In City GiHeung-Gu
    Jung-Dong,  446916
    KR

Administrative, Technical, Billing Contact:
    CHUSA  lawyer2004s@yahoo.com
    103-3
    Yong In City GiHeung-Gu
    Jung-Dong,  446916
    KR
    (TEL) +82.318935668, (FAX)

Domain Registration Date....: 2001-09-13 GMT.
Domain Expiration Date......: 2010-09-13 GMT.
Domain Last Updated Date....: 2009-11-14 15:28:59 GMT.

Domain Name Servers in listed order:
    NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM      
    NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM      

If a customer is not using our name server, the IP address of
the customer's name server will not be displayed.

Please register domain name at www.DomainCA.com.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:54:22 AM by Paulonius »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Buying a Domain Name
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »
I generally go for an variant of the name I want.  You might consider that.  I never fiddle with an existing domain name.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
I wanted to set up a site to sell my large pens... but it never took off....

MyPenIsLarge.com

Got a lot of weird emails though....
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
You reminded me that I too have a Large Pen. Is n't entirely relevant though...

Love the BP logo.

Otherwise you have been less helpful than usual.

TM, do you avoid existing DN's to avoid the baggage of links/spam or are there other reasons?  I am going to buy a couple of variants, but I am going to rename my business to use my last name and figured I should get the MyLastName.com URL too. I figure I will redirect with all but one of the names and put the site on the full name.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Scrripty

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
You reminded me that I too have a Large Pen. Is n't entirely relevant though...

Love the BP logo.

Otherwise you have been less helpful than usual.

TM, do you avoid existing DN's to avoid the baggage of links/spam or are there other reasons?  I am going to buy a couple of variants, but I am going to rename my business to use my last name and figured I should get the MyLastName.com URL too. I figure I will redirect with all but one of the names and put the site on the full name.

I know a few people that recommend not using your name in any fashion as part of your business name. :)  Tons of hassle.  Tons of people come out of the woodwork cause they connect you to your business.  And know you have money if you become successfull.  Sales calls... worse yet, SALES VISITS...

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »
I avoid existing domains simply because I'm cheap.  I refuse to pay someone money for parking a name and extorting me for the use.  It's worse than pixel crack.

So, I'm cheap.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
Fair enough TM, that is a great reason in my book. 

I think I am going to buy up the .net, .info variants and try to get it through the grab/bid process.

-Mario Andretti

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
Maybe your last name plus the market area? ie. JohnsonLA.com or SmithEastCoast.com

Tags: