Author Topic: Back into UO FTW  (Read 1939 times)

Offline XaerethTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Xaereth has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Back into UO FTW
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
Hey there everyone, how goes it?  After about a 10-year absence, I had been going through a pile of old games I used to love (Lords of the Realm 2, Kings Quest 1-6, Battle Bugs :-p  ) and finally came to Ultima.  I'd played UO quite a bit back in the day before other games like Star Wars Galaxies lured me away.

It's so weird playing with a fast internet connection!  I remember when Tram first came out, I was one of the people who jumped into Tram and never really left again, tired of being PKed by countless reds who WEREN'T playing on a modem, lol. 

Probably the best memory I have of the game is when me and a friend went to the Orc Fort in Delucia and started killing them for no apparent reason (do you really NEED a reason to kill Orcs?).  The spawn rate there was ridiculous, but over time, a few other people joined us in the slaughter, and we were able to clear the whole thing out entirely.  There was a moment of silence as we all grinned to ourselves, before the entire fort was swarmed with orcs in one massive spawning, with every single tile filled up.  My friend and I did what we always reflexively did - hit the spacebar for 'hide' before any of the orcs could target us.  The other three guys with us died quick horrible deaths, but we survived :D

Now orcs don't even live in that fort, it's all savages.  Lame. :(

I remember when factions came out, and my friend (the same one from the Orc Fort) convinced me to join the True Brits.  He also somehow convinced me to wear my newly purchased Valorite Plate set there with him.  We signed up, and my friend started making some speech about how he would "lead our faction to victory" to a couple of the other True Brits, when a huge group of Minaxians came in and killed us all, looting my extremely valuable Valorite plate.  I quit factions later that night.  lol, PvP + Modem = recipe for failure, apparently.

Well, once Ilshenar and the fancy new '3D' client came out, I finally decided to throw in the towel.  UO was great, but the grass seemed green elsewhere.  Plus, I was just sick and tired of mages owning me every single time I had to fight them.  What's that?  Use Resist?  lol, not really sure why I didn't.  Maybe cuz I liked Hiding on my char too much.

So, fastforward ten years.  I restarted about four months ago, and am loving it again.  I'm kind of a rares collector now on Napa, and love all the new cool aspects to the game.  Instead of debating whether or not I should wear plate (36 AV but way lower Dex) or the mixed plate/chain for 30 AV but more dex), I have a suit with 45 HCI, 45 DCI, 20% SSI, 70's resist, 40 LMC, 170 stam, etc. 

Lots of great changes, I can actually solo bosses now.  HAHA I remember when me and my friend cross-healed each other a ton and took a long time, and eventually brought down a DRAGON.  Now I solo the entire Rikktor spawn in 40 minutes, and don't even bother looting the dragons on the way.  I love that we get soulstones now, and my Samp has Fencing, Macing, Swords, and Archery, as well as 60 Parry, 120 Parry, 60 Anat, 120 Anat, and 120 Resist all stored away to mix and match for whatever I might be fighting the next day. 

And my crafter can have 120 Smith, 120 Imbue, 120 Tailoring, 100 Carp, 100 Inscription, 100 Fletching, 100 Magery, 100 Tinker, 100 Alchemy, 100 Mining, 100 LJ... etc. so I can do it all without making a second crafter.  And... I can make my own silver weapons now :D

Wow, so that kind of went on for a long time.  Sorry 'bout that. 

Anyways, I'm back into the game and loving it.  I play on Napa, and have five characters, only two of which are any good (well, my mystic at least lets me camp Miasma if I want, or kill Grave Robbers).  However, there are a few aspects of the game I've grown extremely tired of, including BODs, resource gathering, and... well, looting in general.  Figured I'd give some scripting a try, hopefully make some money for some of the rares I want, etc.

This game is truly unique, and I'm really enjoying it.  Feel free to look me up on Napa if you want, we can go kill something :-p

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Back into UO FTW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
welcome to scriptuo ... restricted status lifted.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the great read!  Hope you enjoy the site!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Trixta

• 69 Forever!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Trixta has no influence.
  • Respect: +29
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »
Awesome post,  I had many a battle at the Orc fort! We use to sail in from the dock side and use the boat as cover and try to make it to the mountain side, Failed many many times :P  so many memories there!!!!!

Doh P.S.

WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    1.4%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »
WELCOME!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:51 AM »
Oh noes, if you get a scrollling large welcome from Gimlet, you musta done good!  lol
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cooms

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cooms has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
Great intro, welcome to the site.  Be sure to abuse the search button!  Hope to see you active on the boards!
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
Super Great Intro!!!!
Welcome to Scriptuo

Tags: