Author Topic: Question over authorship  (Read 4784 times)

Offline KryzTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Kryz has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Question over authorship
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
When making a new script if I used pieces already written from previous scripts what is the proper way of giving credit?

Do I just include it in the header? Document each line that I used? or and I would like to avoid this one ignore it altogether?

Post Merge: August 09, 2015, 02:13:25 PM
I think i'm going to move the subs I modified/used to the bottom of my script and include the header from the scripts they are from as well as include some information about what I changed. If that is ok.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:13:25 PM by Kryz »

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Question over authorship
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Most people don't mind that you use their subs in their scripts.  There are others that don't mind, but you must leave their subs in tact and in separate files that are called so they can still be version controlled by the original author (EN is a good example of this practice)

So, if the author doesn't prevent you from using their subs, then it's OK to leave a reference/link/thanks to the original work in your header and the subs themselves you can put in your code somewhere in their entirety.  If you have modified them in some way, then it's just good practice to document your changes.

Now if you are modifying an entire script, then in order to post here, you need to get the original authors permission.  If the author has an account here, then they can PM me their consent, otherwise they can PM me at EUO (Miffy).

Hope this all is reasonable enough for ya!  We try hard to protect people's work, but sometimes things slip through the cracks.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
  • Kryz has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Thanks TM!

Offline Cush

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cush has no influence.
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
I like a really intelligent question followed by an equally intelligent answer!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
Most people don't mind that you use their subs in their scripts.  There are others that don't mind, but you must leave their subs in tact and in separate files that are called so they can still be version controlled by the original author (EN is a good example of this practice)

Actually for the most part I don't mind what people do with my subs, but i do like getting credit for them :) .... So  if you want to take one or more of  my subs and tinker with it bash it to bits and warp it entirely that is perfectly fine by me.      That said I do prefer to keep my subs in callable files for both My and other peoples ease of use.  I like the ability to update a sub and have the changes affect all my script with no further editing required.    Besides their is just so many of them cutting and pasting is just impractical.

For example I use the same menuing system in all my scripts and I can get full menus, with pause, start, toolbars etc features with a couple lines of code.  Want to add bod-pickup to any script ... thats maybe 3 lines of code.  Want to have 4 stacks of runebooks  each cycling on their own counter .. thats also 4-6lines of code...    But like anyframe work it can be daunting at first... and I dont think anyone but me uses.

So go ahead tear up peices of my libraries if you want to, just dont copy the whole thing but your name on top and say hey look what i created. !!

Thread of ready to use snippets:  http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=2454.0
Callable subs, tonns for every occasion:  http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=10609.0
Fast script framework:  http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=10580.0
Even more: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?board=62.0

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Activity:
    0%
  • Kryz has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Thank you endless I may take you up on that if I find something I find useful.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »

For example I use the same menuing system in all my scripts and I can get full menus, with pause, start, toolbars etc features with a couple lines of code.  Want to add bod-pickup to any script ... thats maybe 3 lines of code.  Want to have 4 stacks of runebooks  each cycling on their own counter .. thats also 4-6lines of code...    But like anyframe work it can be daunting at first... and I dont think anyone but me uses.

That some I will like to explore,   I just started to use high end menu, just for that purpose, curious how it will work for me.

Offline KaliOfLS

• That's "Dr." Kali to you!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • KaliOfLS has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
I try to write my subs for people to easily copy and paste them.  I tend to write subs that depend on no variables besides the input parameters, use only local namespaces and describe how they are suppose to work in my script.  I do it so I can copy/paste sub routines as I see fit to build scripts.   

I encourage people to take and use them.  I think that in some ways, it helps new people learn good scripting habits and practices. 
R~~~~ B~~~~~~~~ 
^ real life signature for sure

• Activity:
    0%
  • Kryz has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »
Nice Kali, we may have to get together sometime I also play LS. (If your still there) 8)

Tags: