Author Topic: Thinking about a new laptop...bring me up to speed?  (Read 4171 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Thinking about a new laptop...bring me up to speed?
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
Probably in the next year or so, I'll be looking to replace my monster Dell XPS gamining laptop with another laptop.  I'm way behind in what there is to know, so I have a few questions and I'm looking for your expertise in those and other areas!

Intent:
- UO and VMWare
- Modest PC gaming.  I'd like to play things like Starcraft II or the latest iteration of Warhammer 40K in 2013 and beyond.  I do not FPS.
- Archiving Movies.  Ahem.
- Archiving Audiobooks.  Also ahem.
- Not a Mac convert yet, sorry.

Goals:
- Lightning fast boot-up times.  Should I go SSD?  I hear bad things about maintenance and lifespan...
- Reliable DVD or BD drive.  I burn a *lot* of movies and I've replaced my optical drive on this 2007 laptop twice because I wore it out.
- Potentially act as a media server to my TV, but that's sort of tentative

What can you recommend/educate me on?

Thanks!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about a new laptop...bring me up to speed?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
You should be able to meet all of those needs and then some with even a moderately spec'd (thus priced) laptop.

Not a whole lot of advice but I am wondering what you heard about SSD maintenance and lifespan. I can't think of maintenance issues for the life of me and have never heard anything but ecstatic giddiness from friends who have invested in SSD system drives on their machines.

I will say the price vs space may be an issue running SSD on a laptop. You will spend a small fortune to pull enough storage with SSD for much more than just your OS and apps. Especially if you want to run VMWare and have multiple guests. Unless you can fit both an SSD and a standard platter in the laptop.

I would also highly recommend checking out XBMC when the time comes to start using it as an HTPC. You can certainly get away with simply using MS Media Server but XBMC is MUCH more customizable and flexible (no DVR ability but whatev).

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
Buy a Laptop with SSD and USB 3.0 Port :) then Buy some Externals for archiving. Even better than have all on Laptop.
I by my own archive my Stuff(Scripts,Games,Developing stuff and more) on 3 External USB Drives. They can be direct connected to my Television and no Convertion loss :)
The Laptop itself depending on your Money you wanna spend. There are some good ones out there but the best of best is only avaible for solid amount of Money...

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
...XBMC is MUCH more customizable and flexible (no DVR ability but whatev).

There's a tidbit; I didn't know about XBMC.  Giving it a whirl now.  Thanks, 12X!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:51:11 AM »
Cool, tell me what you think. It's extremely customizable and has tons of plugin and add-on development going on. Open source 4tw!
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »
Keys for a good laptop:

- Check the resolution for the screen, a lot skimp out and make it 1366x768. You'll probably want something with at least (something)x900 at least, but it can depend on the actual screen size you get.
- Dedicated graphics card is a must for any video work, gaming, and/or media center
- Obviously you'll want an HDMI output for an HTPC (most come with it now adays)
- USB 3.0 will make your life much easier (I second other people's suggestion of using external hard drives or an NAS to store all your stuff)
- SSD for sure if you want good boot speeds. There's no issues (that I'm aware of) with maintenance, but for most SSD's, they are limited to something like 10million writes per memory block before they "wear out" so they'll last probably 3-5 years and then need to be replaced
- XBMC is by far your best software if doing any HTPC stuff
- If you go the route of an HTPC, get a nice router that has USB ports built in so you can access your content from anywhere on the network (or just get a nice NAS that allows local and remote access!)
- Minimum of 4GB of RAM, preferably 6 or 8
- If Intel, get an i5 processor minimum, i7 if you want great experience and make sure they're the newest generation (usually have 4-digit numbers instead of the older 3-digit ones), for AMD, try to get a quad-core Phenom or something similar, I'd stay away from the FX- or A- series (all-in-one chips)

Some suggested laptops:
12" range (netbook): ASUS 1215B
15.4" range: There's WAAY too many to name since this is the standard size
17" range: Not sure why people want these, but go with a good SCREEN manufacturer since you'll be staring at a huge one

Generic brand overiew:
- ASUS (highly recommend)
- Dell (hit or miss)
- HP (geared towards families and media consumption)
- Toshiba (rugged, built for business)
- Acer (low end, but slowly getting better, cheap)
- Samsung (look great, but have heard of a lot of reliability issues, but they are fairly new to the PC market)
- Vizio (coming in the next few weeks actually, low-priced Ultrabooks is the market they're trying to hit, kinda of like MacBook clones, might be worth the wait)
- Lenovo (formerly IBM, great business-oriented laptops)
- Sony (media-oriented and usually a little overpriced)
- MSI (fairly cheap but decent quality, I actually have one myself, the FX420-050US)

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
Sorry to hijack but I'm looking for laptop myself now. Does anyone have any input on durability for specific brands? I'm about to be traveling a LOT and will be visiting rough terrains with varying high and low temperatures.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 05:10:42 AM »
Just purchased a new IBM Lenovo Laptop for the Wife and purchased it with SSD Drive it was more costly this way but also she does not need a ton of storage space and man is it fast. The dang machine boots in like 5 secs. Saves files like it did not even do anything and the only weight the machine has is the battery. she loves it and also for OID. The Lenovo series are pretty hefty laptops. i have traveled with the past three I have, that are company leased and they have not given me any problems at all. My first one actually went to the job sites and the work floor and never gave me a hiccup.

Offline onlyindreams

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
Thanks Mass! I'll have to give those a look. I started out looking at the Toughbooks and different rugged ones. But I prefer not to pay more than $1k.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
When it comes to durability, you really can't beat the Panasonic Toughbooks, though they are QUITE pricey! I have done extensive consulting work with an HVAC company that has used the Toughbooks for years and they all love them (minus the price). If you don't want to shell out that much or don't like such a hefty laptop, I would recommend Toshiba's business line. They're desired to handle extensive business travel wear & tear.

Just my 2 cents!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline onlyindreams

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
Appreciate it

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:19 AM »
I'm on my second ASUS now.  I had to abandon Dell after they screwed me over with an order and I had to deal over an afternoon with people who barely spoke English.  I have they i5 and i7.  The i5 ultraporatable is for travel and the i7 is for when a LAN party breaks out and I need some FPS.  But the i5 ultra is nice because it's got a metal case and is quite sturdy for being so thin.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: