Author Topic: Does anyone here have DirecTv?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline KilroyIsDeadTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • KilroyIsDead has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Does anyone here have DirecTv?
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:09 AM »
Not a sales pitch!

DirecTv has a new tool in beta that used to be called widgets but now is called TVApps.  They are just a frame work to put a 400x300 image on your screen, but a clever fellow can do fairly cool things with this.  It does not yet allow for interactivity, but it has an auto-refresh rate.  One cool thing to do is to gather some information and then create your own dynamic image that's 400X300 and send it.

I said that to say this.  I have a few published widgets and I understand their plumbing fairly well so I can hijack my own widget to display stuff only I want to see.  I built a widget to report on my miner.  Last night while my miner was out and about he woudl update that silly database thing that I started playing with.  Then every 15 seconds my directv widget updates and shows me what he's up to.

I do a little image manipulation so that teh vast majority of teh 400x300 image is transaparent then I write a one liner about the status that is transalucent.  So I can still watch TV upstairs while the miner runs downstairs.

If you're a geek, this is kinda cool.

If you're in a guild you can have your guildies run a macro when they log in and then you can push that info to your DirecTv tuner.  If you wish then you can go to the computer and play.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm the rest of the night;
Set a man afire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone here have DirecTv?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:47:25 AM »
I, for one, welcome our new television overlords.

Cool stuff...
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:46:19 PM »
I'm a big fan of DirectTV and all the new technology comming out. HD DVR's etc (Tivo should be comming out with an HD Direct TV receiver this year...whoot!)

And now Direct TV  is introducing video on Demand (VOD) which is pretty cool but they need to expand on their selection list and it totally eats all my bandwidth. All my clients start crashing as I'm scripting when I try to down via VOD but baby steps I guess.

Eventually we'll probably be able to type in the name of the movie we want and then download it right to the DVR...for the right price of course. Should be too much longer.

I'm all for it.  :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
I just love my HD TiVo, so if you DirectTV guys are getting one too, then you are lucky dogs!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:36:57 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: