Author Topic: Virtual ware ?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline HobyTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Virtual ware ?
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »
Wasnt there a link to a walk through of how to setup a virtual machine or two.  I am thinking about buying another comp when i get back from vac and running two virtaul machines so I can get into the fishing discussion too!  I have no idea how to set up a vritaul machine or what ever they are called. Thanks for all the help.

I tried search but nothing, maybe im searching the wrong term
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Virtual ware ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
I never got around to actually writing a setup guide, but if you look into the following thread, you might get some useful information:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=549.0;highlight=vmware
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:15:28 AM »
its real easy too, my first time messing with it, I got it setup and started questing with in one night.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:51:31 AM »
Yep, pretty straightforward stuff if you are reasonably computer literate. The basics are that there are two big players you can download for free, VMWare Server and Microsoft Virtual PC (there are others however these are the two leading products). Among "virtualists" it's generally agreed that VMWare produces the superior product while Microsoft takes them hands-down on ease of setup and management while still providing a competitive result.

I just checked and it looks like the Virtual PC website is now all about pushing Virtual PC Beta for Windows 7 already, I haven't checked this out yet so can't give any advice. I still use VPC2007 which runs fine on XP, guess I'd better hang on to the installation package since I couldn't find a download for it!

Maybe I'll have time today to check out the new version at work.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Scrripty

Offline Superslayer

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 11:13:08 AM »
that one has given me lots of problems with diff OS's, even the past version of it. I won't be using it any longer, I've moved to VMWare.

Offline xenoglyph

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • xenoglyph is looked down upon.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
I know this thread is a little old, but I've got a bit of VM experience.  For the average person I would always recommend VirtualBox.  It's small, fast, and free.  I used to rely on VMWare exclusively because it was consistently the fastest (whereas VPC was sometimes slightly more compatible) but VirtualBox is the best of the both worlds.

VPC now has the advantage of closer integration with Windows 7 to provide a more seamless virtualized XP experience, however VirtualBox does support both Intel and AMD hardware virtualization.
UO Machine, advanced scripting for UO.

Are you prepared to die for your beliefs or just to dye your hair?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:48:46 PM »
Another nice thing about VirtualBox is you can transfer a VM from a Linux host to a Windows host with little effort.  I keep a master VM updated and whenever I need another one, I just replicate and use it in either Fedora, Win2003 or Win7. 

For the short term I've given up on VMWare because kernel compilation on the latest Linux kernels is such a pain in the ass.  It's nearly effortless with VBox.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:56:57 AM »
I've been using Windows 7 with Virtual PC's Windows XP mode... I must say, it works like a charm.  Great stuff there.  Not sure I like how it minimizes/maximizes, but a mine gripe for how well it works.  The problem with it is you must have a processor that supports intel's or AMD's virtualization technologies respectively.  Anything within the last 3 years or so SHOULD have it.  I also use VMWare's Workstation 6.something.  I highly recommend that also on Windows 7.  Those are the only 2 I use and they both work great on Microsoft's new OS.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:59:53 AM by Scripty »

Offline cgeorgemo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
I downloaded VPC from Microsoft last night. This was my first time running a Virtual Machine and overall I was pleasantly surprised by how easy the process of getting up and running was.
I had to do a couple of searches to get past a couple of issues that probably wouldn't even seem to be an issue for experienced users so I thought I'd post my experiences here.

1st issue was how do I get my OS installed on the VM?
What I did was put the OS install CD in the drive and close the screen that opened up on my desktop. I then chose Reset under Action on the menu bar for the VM. The VM then POSTed and started installing XP (sp2) form the disc.

2nd Issue was how do I get internet access on the VM
I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but what worked for me was to click the settings button on the VPC Console and under networking I chose the option for Shared Networking.

3rd Issue was getting files onto the VM.
I wanted to do a clean install of UO so I downloaded and patched like normal for that.
But I didn't want to do that for all the scripts and for EUO, SUO or other UO Utilities so I just drag and dropped those files onto the VM desktop and let them get copied.

Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

Tags: