Author Topic: Dish Network / Direct TV  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Dish Network / Direct TV
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:18:53 AM »
Ive currently got cable .. just noticed they pulled a 1 2 punch on me .. ended my promo rate that ive had for ever and more than doubled the base rate... so my bill almost thrippled.

Well being decent ive called them and tried to negotiate a new low rate.. but they only have the speacil for new customers.. not new returning customers, so the old terminate reconnect dont work.    So i guess its time to more on.

Has anyone got experience with Either Dish network or Driect TV .. (Direct TV seems over priced for what you get but is less than my current cable !!!)

So im heading towards Dish Network... any issues with them i should be aware of. Note ive never had satellite before.

Also and FTA experts out thier... If i could muddle through what ive read on that thats probably the best path.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
Re: Dish Network / Direct TV
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:36 AM »
Actually you came to the right place :)

I am a FTAer I have a 10 foot with DMX741 and a 12 footer with BSC621 and a few viewsat,Coolsat, and Pansat recievers.

If you want an idea of what is up there to see in the the sky or want some info of cost let me know.

Also check out lyngsat.com it is a listing of all the sats on the clark belt and also what channels are on which transponders and which sats.

FTA-newbies.com has some good info on the various equipment that you might need and guides of how to do it but i can help also.

There are a lot of old C-band dishes out there that people are not using anymore.  Just look for the ones pointing down or at a low altitude and stop and ask if they want anything for it.  I got both of my big dishes for free.  You can also buy a new dish in the 6 or 7 foot range and set it up.  Cost for a full system using Cband and KU band will cost you around a few hundred dollars but is a nice hobby.  If you go the used dish from a neighbor and just buy a new lnb and reciever you can get for less than 200 hundred and some labor of moving and setting the system up.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you go with a sat company other than FTA go with Dish .  DTV is a rip off in the long run and there service Sux.  Dish has good packages and good support.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »
I never got my FTA dish up and going.  I guess I didn't have the patience to find the damn satellites.  So it's just sitting in my garage.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
Any way you guys want to do anything FTA let me know i got like 8 diff dishes here so i got a little experience.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
Any way you guys want to do anything FTA let me know i got like 8 diff dishes here so i got a little experience.

I'll keep that in mind.  It was a bit mystifying at first.  I had a whole bunch of questions at one time, but I've slept since then have have freed that grey matter for other things.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »
I'll do a bit of reading them ill have a tonn of questions im sure.. thanks for the offer to help.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
I deal with Dish Network at work and I must say that their prices are virtually unbeatable for the service. You tend to get more (and better!) channels than DirectTV and they just recently made all their HD packages much cheaper and simpler. I'd definitely recommend them over DirectTV!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »
Speaking of Hd packages. Thanks for the back up there UOMaddog.  DirectTV's HD channels are only SD they are not a true HD quality.  If you do not believe me check out the resolution on the broadcast channels.  DishNetworks HD channels are true HD channels and you can also check out there broadcast channel resolution and compare for yourself.  So again Dish has it over on Direct.  There are many complants arisen for the hd channels and direct is having to do something because they are only SD channels as of right now.

Tags: