Author Topic: New user / amateur scripter  (Read 3074 times)

Offline LucidWayTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • LucidWay has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
New user / amateur scripter
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
Hey guys and gals,
Joined the forum mostly to lurk, but I think I need to post an intro to see scripts!

I've got some background in C+, and Java. Just getting familiar with the easy uo API/library!

I'm playing in the free shard uo legends. Shout out if you're from that shard!!!

Post Merge: April 14, 2014, 09:48:37 PM
Read the stickies after posting  :o
I have a sampire & a crafter at the moment on legends, working on a tamer. My craft is lgm tailoring, gm bs and 78 imbueing (isnt it a biaaatch to level!?).

I played UO a 5 years ago for a little bit, and my brother and I are getting back into it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:48:37 PM by LucidWay »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New user / amateur scripter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »
We appreciate your attempt at an intro but we do ask that everyone make a concerted effort at an introduction.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome / trolling. I'd be upset, but I love the Ranger Rick banner that you have lol. There was some questionable moments in walking dead.

I guess that I can share some more about myself, though there isnt much more to say in the UO department. I work for a management consulting firm and am a somewhat closet nerd. I love lots of old games and have played most of them. In general I dont like MMO grind fests, I'd say one of the things that I like about UO is setting up scripts to do the grind for you. Its a kind of meta-game.

I guess the coolest scripting that I did was I wrote a "Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom Sim" mod for WC3 where i set scripts up that ran all the units you produced turning it into a kingdom type sim. I got it pretty mature, but never to playable beta. I ended up having to quit Dota 1 to graduate school and get a job, so that project fell off.

If anyone else wants to say hi or ask questions or troll me like Masscre then go right ahead =D

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:59 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
Thanks for the welcome / trolling. I'd be upset, but I love the Ranger Rick banner that you have lol. There was some questionable moments in walking dead.

I guess that I can share some more about myself, though there isnt much more to say in the UO department. I work for a management consulting firm and am a somewhat closet nerd. I love lots of old games and have played most of them. In general I dont like MMO grind fests, I'd say one of the things that I like about UO is setting up scripts to do the grind for you. Its a kind of meta-game.

I guess the coolest scripting that I did was I wrote a "Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom Sim" mod for WC3 where i set scripts up that ran all the units you produced turning it into a kingdom type sim. I got it pretty mature, but never to playable beta. I ended up having to quit Dota 1 to graduate school and get a job, so that project fell off.

If anyone else wants to say hi or ask questions or troll me like Masscre then go right ahead =D

We troll when we feel we are getting trolled. You added a few more Informations, so welcome :-)

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.8%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Welcome to SUO! Masscre is a good guy and wasn't trolling you. He was just asking for a bit more information about you and what you like to do in UO. There are a lot of good people here at SUO and a lot of great scripts. SUO had a problem in the past with people just making an account to grab scripts and not actually be part of the community. The admins and mods just want people to make an effort to become part of the community while enjoying the awesome scripts. TopTwo had a great post explaining why. http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=1683.0

With that being said, you will love the community of people here and hopefully will become a regular poster. Make sure to abuse the search button, it can be you best friend. Welcome to SUO!  :D

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
@TMX : we need a like Button! Crisis explained it so good for our newcomers!
@ Threadauthor :Of course we dont wanna troll :-)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
@TMX : we need a like Button! Crisis explained it so good for our newcomers!
@ Threadauthor :Of course we dont wanna troll :-)
Just look for the heart symbol in the member's post.  http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?action=reputation;uid=1820;m=103030;topic=12272.0;sesc=6ebd3e1198f2899096442a0458d0dc56
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
Thanks for all the welcomes  :D

@ Crisis, thanks - I read that post and Its certainly an interesting idea. Lots of forums require you to register before downloading anything, but this is the first I've seen that requires you to post too. The upside is that you probably have a much higher conversion rate of those who register into regulary contributing members.

The downside is that traffic coming into the site might take a big hit since people might go to other scripting websites like easyuo instead (where only registration is required and the process is easier) - less traffic could mean less contributing members. One idea to make the process easier might be to have the download link exist to all traffic (but be dead). When they click it, it explains that they need to be a contributing member of the forums to download content. I had no idea what the problem was when I couldn't find the link.

At any rate I hope that it worked for you guys (it would be interesting to look at the numbers), and that i become a contributing member soon =D Thanks again for saying Hi :)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
Now Welcome to the site and thank you for your introduction.

I noticed you made a comparison to EasyUO and how we do things compared to how they are now. Look how often they do anything there now days it is kind of dead. We are bright and shiny and still going stong. Our filter system is in place weed out all the leechers. We want to know that when you come to our site that you are motivated enough to talk to us if you are not then it is possible to say you might be here to just leech from us. There is the exception of a person being non conversational be might be a big contributer to the community but these cases I believe to be rare. Again welcome to the site.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »
Now Welcome to the site and thank you for your introduction.

I noticed you made a comparison to EasyUO and how we do things compared to how they are now. Look how often they do anything there now days it is kind of dead. We are bright and shiny and still going stong. Our filter system is in place weed out all the leechers. We want to know that when you come to our site that you are motivated enough to talk to us if you are not then it is possible to say you might be here to just leech from us. There is the exception of a person being non conversational be might be a big contributer to the community but these cases I believe to be rare. Again welcome to the site.
Ha thats really interesting! Cudos to you guys then. I just knew that they were my 1 stop shop for macros, but i could never edit the imbueing macro enough to get it to work on my free shard. All roads led here :)

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »
Welcome to ScriptUO.

Most of the core members here have known each other virtually for many years now and have been part of a number of other, now defunct, UO communities that could be seen as alternatives to easyuo.com. I imagine most of us can also be found at easyuo.com, we just like it here better. The idea of an intro ties in with our goal of building a community, not only do you have to tell us who you are before we open the doors but you get to meet some of our active members immediately since we all read and many of us reply to most intro posts. Considering we have been up for over 6 years with steady contributions, discussions, and influx of membership I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think we'll be ok continuing with the status quo.

We can let go of the "troll" conversation, that just gets under my skin  :-X

Hope to see you around the boards, I can guarantee you that Imbuing is much easier to level with the right script :)
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline SolidSnake

• ScriptUO Guild
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • SolidSnake has no influence.
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
Welcome...and what he said above me.. Most of us have known, played and visited with each other for years. It's a great community.

Feel free to use the shoutbox at all times, and abuse the hell out of the search button :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:30:51 PM by SolidSnake »

Tags: