Author Topic: Return to UO - Introduction! - Andrew  (Read 3325 times)

Offline zankinTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • zankin has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Return to UO - Introduction! - Andrew
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »
Good morning!  Or just hello!

Introduction
About Me
* History
* Game Ambitions
* Real Life
* Community
Digital Life

Introduction:

Hi, My name is Andrew, I don't always give out my real name in this digital world, but figure it is better to be known by someone.  I play on the OSI servers because I feel they are "official" I don't love the cost, but do love that they are consistent. 

About Me:

I once thought of myself as a gamer, but I don't think that title ever really fit.  I'm passionate about escaping reality when the moment presents itself, but I'm not willing to just get lost in 'any' digital world.  I haven't played video games in a long time.  I told myself it's because I'm old and busy now, but I think the other part of the truth is that most games aren't worth my time.  I tried every MMO released in the last two years (almost) and none of them pull me in, or their 'tricks' are so obvious my subconscious fights against it.

For fun I like to do photography, fly, learn something new, and be a Father.  I am a single Father of four, and that's a lot of what has brought me back to Ultima Online.

History:  Once upon a time, in 1997 I first entered the world of Ultima Online with the collectors edition 'early access' pass.  I was immediately enthralled and spent the first 10 days of early access tailoring skullcap hats in Trinsic, before I knew it I had 10k gold and a firm desire to explore the rest of the world.  I spent hours and hours lost in this digital world, to the point where all of my friends were there.  It's because of those early friends I met in those fresh days on the Pacific server that I joined the Air Force... a huge turning point to my life.  One of many huge mile markers I can blame on Ultima Online.

I came back to UO briefly after the Air Force and found myself on the Baja server.  There I made an axe warrior that was worth his weight in gold.  And when Star Wars Galaxies came out I thought that digital world would take up all my time so I made a mistake many UO players have made and sold the character... though I got a significant amount of $$ at the time (which helped me afford to get married) I wish I wouldn't have.  Before leaving the game I had made many friends who followed me through many games after that... one specific one is my actual best friend, and has influenced my life in huge ways (another thing I can blame on UO)

In 2006 I came back to UO with a new account and played for half a year, enjoying the world, but in a vain attempt to save my marriage I gave up all gaming about 6 months after that. 

Recently I've come back to UO, but not by myself.  I'm a single Father of Four and wanted to introduce the ancient game to my children.  Within the first week I was hearing quotes from them like "Woah, this is the best designed game ever!"  and the other day at a Doctors Check-up my son replied to the question "what's your favorite animal?" with "A dragon" and when questioned about it gave every detail in the world about the dragons of UO.

So now we are here, four children from 7 to 12 and myself exploring a digital world with some of the most adorable conversations that have ever been heard as the Family 'gathers' around the digital fireplace.

Game Ambitions:  I want to play with the kids, but they need me as protector, a guide, and a patient instructor.  We want to take on Greater Dragons, fight Champion Spawns, and reach the pinnacle of Character Perfection in game. 

From Ultima Online I learned, a long time ago, that if I have a question, I can look up the answer.  School taught me that a little, but not even close to the same way UO taught it to me.  The game has changed a lot since the early days and part of what I love about the game (and how I'm using it to teach the children) is that there are questions with answers.  When a child says "Daddy, what's this mean?" I am trying to show them that they can look it up.  I'd say almost everything good in my life has come from that skill taught to me and leveled over years and years of playing.

Real Life:  In real life I have a real job, a real family, a real house, and real kids.  I love to bodybuild as a hobby, do photography, this last summer I got my pilots license, and am currently teaching myself to play guitar.  Once when I was new to Ultima Online I struggled with finding my purpose there.  There is not 'end boss' and up to that point all the games I played had that great big ending.  I found my real life purpose the same time as I found my digital purpose.  It's to excel, to do my best, and gain as many skill points as is possible in life.  I've done fantastic in growing through the years.   I work as a project manager for a hospital network, this allows me to make a real difference in the lives of real people while still working from home enough that the children do not see me as a stranger.

Someday I hope to get married again, but for the time being building a lasting relationship with my four babies is more important, and immediate. (though I do date given half the opportunity, I'm a little picky.)

Community: The Face of Ultima Online has changed.  Where once there were hundreds of people at any given time near the bank, now there are maybe five, and they are only at one bank instead of a few large ones.  With the change in UO I can imagine meeting people there is going to be a little more hit and miss.  This seems to be a community that lets you grow, answer questions together, and connect.  It's difficult to find active UO communities now days and so I expect, within reason, to foster this. 

I like to help people, especially in real life with things that actually matter... when possible.  I like to be able to answer questions, give directions, use my experience to advise and help others improve, or see a path to improvement.

Digital Life: I have a blog, something undone... writing is my outlet, and my excuse for staying up late at night.  Perhaps someday I'll write a book, but for now it's just my outlet.

Photography is my other outlet.  az focal point photography.  Feedback is always welcome... and if you're in the Southwestern US, I don't charge to take pictures, it's a hobby and doing it for money would ruin the fun.

I'm glad to meet all of you, look forward to getting to know you, and if you need anything, or have any questions please feel free to ask.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Return to UO - Introduction! - Andrew
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
Wow Andrew!  Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!  What role did you play in the Air Force?  Thank you for your service, btw!  Why hasn't other games taken on the taming thing?  Makes UO a great place!

Anyhow, welcome!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
Hi Trailmyx,

Thanks for the welcome!

I think that the lack of immersion in other games is a big determent.  For me immersion is really enhanced by the skill system that UO has, the intricate details of the world help so much as well, but just the idea that the more you do something, the better you get at it makes too much sense.

For years after they broke Star Wars Galaxies I tried to Follow Richard Garriott to his other creative ventures... because I thought he was the magic element in UO, but after looking at what's going on with Shroud of the Avatar I've realized that I was mistaken.  Maybe someday we can get a design team together to update and duplicate the magic of UO, but I don't think we'll see anyone else even attempt it in the meantime.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
Welcome to SUO

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »

Wow Andrew!  Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!
  I love read those king of intro, it take me back a long way and see part of my self when I read this.  Nice to have someone like you joining SUo community and if I can help you let me know.  I play OSI and have a few build a lot of shard.   Hope to run into you.  Once again Welcome

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:07:59 AM »
When you get a scrolling "Welcome" from Gimlet, you know you're doing something right here!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »
lol, thanks for that... I should have set the bar just a little bit lower ;)

I've been looking up the Sampire template, reading through the forums is a wealth of information, I absolutely love it!  (And it's current, nothing like reading posts from 2002 somewhere else.)

What I admire most is that together you guys have the programming knowledge to crush almost any technical challenge. 

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
I play a Sammy and  I loved it.    IF you need help let me know.   Basic Lamed 3.0 is a nice tool to use to help killing.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Ghost, Thanks!  Is a Sammy the same as a Sampire? I'm totally open to any help in that area.  What software do you use EUO or Stealth?  What's the template?

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 04:36:33 AM »
Ghost, Thanks!  Is a Sammy the same as a Sampire? I'm totally open to any help in that area.  What software do you use EUO or Stealth?  What's the template?
Hello and welcome zankin,
I guess when people talk about sammy they mean sampire, whammy is wraith and Samurai and so on..
About scripting engines : the Majority here is using easyuo, on place 2 Openuo and only a small amount of people using Stealth. But i see currently a trend coming up for stealth :-)

Offline Cstalker

• Google Slut
  • ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Cstalker has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 06:34:09 AM »